Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2) by Suzanne Collins

Oh.My.God! That's all I have to say....well, okay maybe not alllll I have to say :).

Catching Fire (the second in The Hunger Games Trilogy) was absolutely amazing!  I don't know how she did it, but Suzanne Collins made the sequel even better than the first one!  If I hadn't had any homework, or been busy, or even tired, I probably would have read this book straight through without stopping.  The story was so imaginative, creative, and intense, but all in such good ways, that this series is probably becoming one of my favorites.

I have to be honest, when I read The Hunger Games a few months back, I was a little weary about finished the series.  The reason is because it was such an intense novel; something I don't usually like to read, because I go by the motto "Life is serious enough, why also read serious books", but I am so glad I got my hands on the second novel and decided to read it.  This sequel probably changed my mind on not buying the series eventually.  The Hunger Games wasn't really a novel that I want to read more than once, just because of how serious it was, but Catching Fire, even though it dealt with the same topic, it definitely became a book that I would consider reading twice.

Anyway, to what this one was about...

This one takes off exactly where the first one left off...Katniss and Peeta are both the victors of the Hunger Games; the "games" that take place every year, where a boy and girl between the age of eleven (I believe??) and eighteen are picked from Twelve Districts, and have to fight for their lives in an arena, until the last man/woman standing remains, and that person is crowned the victor.  Katniss and Peeta made history when they both were crowned victors in the first book; because normally only one person is, no exceptions.  The Capitol is (the place in the center of all the districts, but not part of any of them (think Washington DC), is outraged, and wants revenge.  Threats are made, and ultimately Katniss and Peeta are practically exactly where it all began...

To find out what I mean you will just have to read the sequel, because it would be a way to HUGE giveaway for me to tell you :).

Anyway, this book contains a love triangle...not as intense as in The Twilight Saga, because the two boys aren't exactly fighting each other over Katniss's affection, but Katniss is left with the overwhelming feeling of figuring out who she loves. Peeta or Gale (her best friend)? I've seen a lot of groups dedicated to the Gale/Katniss/Peeta relationship on Goodreads and Shelfari, and even MEG CABOT's forum's website! It looks like this series is going to become the new obsession replacing all the buzz from The Twilight Saga.  To be honest, I can't choose!!! I'm feeling the same confusion that Katniss is feeling on whether she should be with Gale or Peeta! It's driving me insane!! But it's also something I really enjoy in this series.  It's a nice change from The Twilight Saga because while I was reading that series I was thinking the whole time, "Edward! Edward! Edward!" :).

So do I recommend this book?

DUH!! I think I made that very obvious! :).

The some what hidden meanings are so interesting and intense in this book.  Even though our world probably (HOPEFULLY!!) wouldn't allow something like the Hunger Games to exist, this is pretty much how world is.  This book (in my opinion) is describing what most people think.  We would either risk our lives for our loved ones, or we would kill and die trying to save the ones we loved and cared about.  Katniss is a great example of this.  She is tough, strong, and willing to do anything to keep Peeta, Gale, her sister, and mother alive; and along the way not trusting anyone except those few people, because she knows that the world is a dangerous dirty minded place.

So go out and get your hands on this book.  Unfortunately, it's pretty difficult getting it at the library right now, since the movie is coming out in March, and a lot of people are reading the series right now, but if you get a chance and have it in your hands, GET IT and READ IT!

I hope everyone has a great week, and I will talk to you all soon! :)

XOXO
The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick