Erin: Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin #3) by Robin LaFevers


Hey Everyone! I've got a review of Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers, the third book in the His Fair Assassin Series!


From Goodreads:


Annith has watched her gifted sisters at the convent come and go, carrying out their dark dealings in the name of St. Mortain, patiently awaiting her own turn to serve Death.  But her worst fears are realized when she discovers she is being groomed by the abbess as a Seecress, to be forever sequestered in the rock and stone womb of the convent.  Feeling sorely betrayed, Annith decides to strike out on her own.

She has spent her whole life training to be an assassin.  Just because the convent has changed its mind doesn't mean she has...

Erin's Thoughts:

I'll be honest, when I first read Grave Mercy and heard "assassin nuns", I was like, What? The idea didn't really appeal to me and it actually sounded pretty funny to me.  Even as I read it, I didn't like it that much.  The writing and everything was good, but it didn't really resonate with me.  But, for some weird reason, I kept reading! And surprisingly, I liked the second one (His Dark Triumph) and then, this time, when I read Mortal Heart, I was surprised again by how much I liked the book! So I don't know if my taste in books has changed or maybe it's because I've gotten older or maybe it's just the book itself, but I thought Mortal Heart was great.  In fact, I think this one might by my favorite of all three!

Mortal Heart had SUCH a great twist! I did not see it coming at all! It took me completely by surprise and once I found out -- it was so obvious that I couldn't believe that I hadn't figured it out! But I love that feeling when you're completely blown away by the twist and this was a book that totally did that to me! I mean, I've read some books with great twists that I didn't see coming, but I just don't get that same feeling of "WOW!" as I did with Mortal Heart.  I'm so obsessed with it! It was just such a great twist! I won't say anything more since I don't want to give it away, but I really do think it was a fantastic one that was woven in so well!

Also, I loved Annith as a character.  She's extremely vulnerable even though she has these awesome fighting skills.  She has a lot of doubts and fears that I think a lot of people will be able to relate to, such as the feeling of not being good enough.

Another thing that I can't help but admire is the attention to history Robin LaFevers puts into her books.  I mean, I'm no history expert, but you can totally see how much research she has put into her books and how much time she has spent looking into things and making sure to get everything as historically accurate as possible.  Of course, it's still a historical fiction novel, so it's not completely true to history, but overall it's got great research and authenticity to it!

Rating:

Robin LaFevers is a great writer and now that the His Fair Assassin Trilogy is over, I'm really excited to see what she's working on next!  In the meantime, I think I'll be rereading Grave Mercy sometime in the future --  I definitely want to see how I like it this time around!! All right, thanks for reading, guys!

Erin @The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick