No Offense (Little Bridge Island Series #2)

 Hey Everyone!

I took a little break from reading this weekend, to go the opening of Disneyland.  My husband and I took our son and got to be there from Thursday through Monday.  We had the best time, and it didn't leave much time (or any) for reading.  But today, I ended up just reading every chance I got, and just zoomed through Meg Cabot's second book in the Little Bridge Island Series.


From Goodreads: 


A broken engagement only gave Molly Montgomery additional incentive to follow her dream job from the Colorado Rockies to the Florida Keys.  Now, as Little Bridge Island Public Library's head of children's services, Molly hopes the messiest thing in her life will be her sticky-note covered desk.  But fate-- in the form of a newborn left in the restroom-- has other ideas.  So does the sheriff who comes to investigates the "abandonment".  The man's arrogance is almost as distracting as his blue eyes. Almost...

Recently divorced, John has been having trouble adjusting to single life as well as single parenthood.  But something in Molly's beautiful smile gives John hope that his old life on Little Bridge might suddenly hold new promise -- if only they can get over their differences.


My Thoughts:

I feel so guilty writing this.  As some of you may know, I'm a HUGE Meg Cabot fan.  HUGE!  I own every single one of her books, have traveled a few times multiple hours to meet her in person.  I sent her fan mail when I was in high school.  And for the most part I have always loved all of her books...except this time...

No Offense felt extremely forced to me.  It was like Meg was trying so hard to be in touch with today's society, but it felt out of touch at the same time.  When I found out the dance number that the sheriff, John, needs to dance to for his daughter's dance recital was "Single Ladies" by Beyonce, I couldn't help but cringe.  It felt very 2010.  Not 2020.  

It felt like characters were thrown in to be relevant with our current times, but then John, the main male character was an old school male who admires Molly, the main female characters, backside and is imagining her lips wrapped around something else...

And then Molly is a nosy librarian who needs to just stop.  

If it wasn't for those parts, it wouldn't have been that for me.  I actually enjoyed the story, and did pretty much binge read this one, in a day, because I did want to know what was going to happen at the end.


In the end though, I'm going to have give it...

Oh man, this one hurts.


It just wasn't my favorite Meg Cabot book.  Unfortunately, by a long shot.  I'm still looking forward to book 3 this fall.  I'll definitely be reading it.  But sadly, I don't think I'll be rereading this one.  


The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick