Tokyo Ever After by Emiko Jean

 Hello Everyone!


It's been a minute!

I have not been able to read much lately, but finally finished a book!  July was not a good reading month for me, hopefully this month will be a bit better!  

I ended up finally finishing Tokyo Ever After by Emiko Jean yesterday!

From Goodreads:


Izumi Tanaka has never really felt like she fit in -- it isn't easy being Japanese American in her small, mostly white, Northern California town.  Raised by a single mother, it's always been Izumi --or Izzy, because "It's easier this way" -- and her mom against the world.  But then Izzy discovers a clue to her previously unknown father's identity... and he's none other than the Crown Prince of Japan. Which means outspoken, irreverent Izzy is literally a princess.

In a whirlwind, Izzy travels to Japan to meet the father she never knew and discover the county she always dreamed of.  But being a princess isn't all ball gowns and tiaras. There are conniving cousins, a hungry press, a scowling but handsome bodyguard who just might be her soulmate, and thousands of years of tradition and customs to learn practically overnight.

Izzy soon finds herself caught between worlds, and between versions of herself --back home, she was never "American" enough, and in Japan, she must prove she's "Japanese" enough. Will Izumi crumble under the weight of the crown, or will she live out her fairytale, happily ever after?

My Thoughts:


Overall, I liked this one.  It was cute, it had a nice fun storyline.  Was it original?  No.  It gave off serious Princess Diaries vibes.  Did I mind that? No, because I love Princess Diaries, and enjoyed reading something similar.  It still had its own take, which I appreciated.  I'm interested to see where the story will take us in the future, because according to Goodreads, this is the first book in the series.  Since, this one was just released a couple of months ago, I think we'll have to wait and see, until at least next year. 

I liked Izumi's character.  I wish there had been more development with her and Akio, because that felt like it just flew to where it ended up.  And I wanted more from her and her father's relationship, but I'm sure that will be coming up in the next book or two.  


Overall Rating:


If you're a fan of Meg Cabot's Princess Diaries then I think you'll enjoy this one.  It was fun, had a cute storyline.  I will say the ending was very predictable, as far as who did what.  I figured it out about half way through.  But that is to be expected with these types of books, and I honestly don't mind it.  

Hope everyone is having a good week!


The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick