Life in the so NOT fat lane!

So it doesn't happen very often, but I officially bought a book that I didn't particularly like.  The book is called Life in the Fat Lane.  It actually, first of all, made me feel very offended at the beginning and throughout the majority of it actually, now that I think about it.  The book is about a girl named Lara, who gets this disease that makes her gain a ton of weight in a very short amount of time.  At first no one knows what is going on, but over time they learn.  Lara started off as this homecoming queen, with the perfect boyfriend, typical cliche of what is considered to be the Hollywood version of a popular girl in high school.  Well, of course, her world comes crashing down when she starts gaining all that weight.  Her friends don't want anything to do with her, all she does is complain about how fat she is getting (it was especially annoying at the beginning when she gained like two pounds and she was only 110 pounds to start with).

I felt offended by this book, because the character, throughout practically the ENTIRE story acts like she is this spoiled brat, who NEEDS to have this perfect life.  Well, she FINALLY realizes, somewhat, at the end, when she realizes she broke up with her boyfriend for nothing, because he actually adored her no matter how big she was, that she was going about life in the wrong way.
To me personally, this just wasn't my type of story...I do admit, it probably is somewhat due to the fact that I am somewhat overweight, and the story revolves around this character who weighs like nothing at 5'7", and complains about gaining a few pounds.  Okay, near the end she has gained a little more than a hundred pounds, but what got to me was the way the character spoke and though about other slightly overweight people.  I found it to be offending somewhat.

Overall Rating:


So...I wouldn't say I don't recommend reading it, I just would say read some of the summaries online,and decide for yourself if this book is something you might like.  So I guess I better get going, my last class of the day is starting soon. I'll write again soon...I just started this book that I am enjoying very much (it's super funny), so I'll be writing about that soon. :)
The Romance Bookie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick