Making Me Feel Like I was "Along for the Ride"

I read Along for the Ride for the first time the summer after I graduated, which now is two years ago.  It was one of my summer reading books, and made my grandmother, who was at the time visiting my family and me, furious, because I couldn't put it down.  At the time, it had been one of the, maybe, three or four Sarah Dessen books I had read.  And let me just add: It instantly became my absolute favorite!  In fact it's one of the novels on my Top 5 Favorites.

The novel is about Auden, a recent high school graduate who has spent her life never having had a true childhood.  Her parents divorced when she was younger, and now her father has remarried and had a new baby girl.  Her mother has always been a tough-love kind of person, and her big brother has been in Europe for the past two years, mooching off of their parents.

Now Auden has decided to stay the summer with her father and his new wife and baby, instead of focusing all of her free time on studying and getting ready for her upcoming semester of college.


Expecting a summer of restless nights of reading her textbooks and being alone like she is used to, Auden finds herself living the childhood she never got to experience.  She makes some girlfriends and even finds herself letting her guard down for a boy named Eli.  Eli helps change her life, by helping her to go on a quest on doing as many of the things that she never got to experience as a child. They do these things mainly at night, because both Eli and Auden are insomniacs; Auden has been since her parent's divorce. I don't want to give away any of the things they do, because a few of them are pretty crucial to the story.



If you haven't already noticed ;), I definitely 100% recommend reading this novel.  I borrowed it to one of my friends, who I don't necessarily have a lot in common with, and she loved the book so much, that she ended up buying her own copy.  We were both suckers for Eli, who is described to have longish shoulder length dark hair and green eyes (sigh....).  Anyway, if you get a chance to read this novel, or you already have, let me know what you thought about it, because I always enjoy having someone to talk to about the great novels I read!

I'm still hoping and praying that they make a movie based on this novel one of these days...so if you liked this book, keep your fingers crossed!

Thank you!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick