Afterburn and Aftershock by Sylvia Day

***WARNING!!!! THIS BOOK CONTAINS SUBJECT MATTERS THAT ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18!!!***

So I did quite a bit of reading over the weekend, two reviews (including this one) that have been posted, and one that will be coming up in the coming months :).

But for now, here's my review for Sylvia Day's recent release of Afterburn and Aftershock!

From Goodreads:



Never mix business with pleasure. Never bring politics into the bedroom. In a way I did both when I took Jackson Rutledge as a lover. I can't say I wasn't warned.

Two years later, he was back. Walking into a deal I'd worked hard to close. Under the tutelage of Lei Yeung, one of the sharpest businesswomen in New York, I had picked up a thing or two since Jax walked away. I wasn't the girl he once knew, but he hadn't changed. Unlike the last time we'd drifted into each other's lives, I knew exactly what I was dealing with... and how addictive his touch could be.

The inner circle of glamour, sex, and privilege was Jax's playground--but this time, I knew the rules of the game. In the cutthroat business world, one adage rules all: keep your enemies close and your ex-lovers closer...

My Thoughts:

Sooo...overall I'll be honest and say that I was a bit disappointed with this one.  Honestly, I am getting a bit tired of the whole rich-guy-gets-poor-innocent hard-working-girl-in-the-big-city-and-makes-a-real-woman-out-of-her, books.  It's getting old!  All of these "erotica" books are exactly the same!  I've only read about one, maybe two (I can honestly only think of one right now!) that wasn't like that! Sure it had the wealthy man, getting the innocent working girl thing going on, but it also had a lot of other things, such as mystery, thrills, a great back story!

Other than that ONE book I can think of, all of these books are pretty much exactly the same!!!!!  They are all deal with main male character, who are wealthy, but have a sad family back story involving some sort of tragedy.  A girl who has recently graduated from college, and landed her dream job.  Friends and family that try to get between them.  The same old sex over and over again (no matter how erotic it was the first time I read it, it still gets old).

I'm sorry, but really?!

This book in particular kind of pissed me off, because the main character, Gia, is pretty dumb.  First, she moves in with the guy she was together with for six "incredible" weeks TWO YEARS AGO, and then second she goes to a REPORTER for a PRIVATE investigation on her boyfriend's life??  REALLY?!! You didn't see that one coming?!!

The one thing I liked about this book was the strong family relationship between Gia and her brothers and parents.  I loved that!  They always have each other's backs, they take care of another, and they'll set you straight when you need it.  I loved that!

But overall, I'm sorry to say, this book didn't really do it for me.  It's so unbelievably similar to all the others, especially since Sylvia Day already has The Gideon Cross series, which just makes all the more worse, that she didn't write something more different!

Overall rating:


All in all, pretty disappointed.  I don't know why, but I just keep hoping to find another thriller mystery/story with steamy sex scenes like I found in Lisa Renee Jones's "If I Were You" series!  This one is like all the others.  The same story over and over again is getting old for me.  

Sorry guys!

The Romance Bookie :)



Comments

  1. You should try that S.E.C.R.E.T. trilogy that I reviewed, it's definitely different.

    And I had not even heard of these ... too bad, because I do like Sylvia Day's stuff. :(

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick