Wonder by RJ Palacio (Audiobook Review)

Hey Everyone!

Finished another audiobook on my way to work!  This time it was Wonder by RJ Palacio.

I have been seeing Wonder on store shelves for years now.  It caught my eye after a while, because I was just constantly seeing it everywhere! It's been on my radar for a while now.  I used to work at an elementary school, and one of the fifth grade teachers, read this book out loud to her class, so made me gain even more interest.

It turns out this book has been popular for good reason!

From Goodreads:



I won't describe what I look like.  Whatever you're thinking, it's probably worse.

August Pullman was born with a facial difference that, up until now, has prevented him from going to a mainstream school.  Starting 5th grade at Beecher Prep, he wants nothing more than to be treated as an ordinary kid -- but his new classmates can't get past Auggie's extraordinary face.  WONDER, now a #1 New York Times Bestseller and included on the Texas Bluebonnet Award master list, begins from Auggie's point of view, but soon switches to include his classmates, his sister, her boyfriend, and others.  These perspectives converge in a portrait of one community's struggle with empathy, compassion, and acceptance.

My Thoughts:

I loved listening to this book on my way to and from work.  It really was a beautiful story.  I've been reading a little more and more recently, in fact I've actually read two paper books in the last couple of weeks, which is a real accomplishment for me in recent years.  I wish I would have read the actual paper copy of Wonder, but I ended up liking the audiobook too.

First I'll talk about the overall story though.

I loved it.  It was such a beautiful story about acceptance, and understanding that the world is not always such a great place, and that there are people who sometimes may not understand, but there are people who do.  Auggie was such a special character.  The things this child has gone through, and for him to have such high spirits and just total understanding about the mean things said about him, was so beautiful!

The different point of views were really good.  I was thinking we would get perspective's from his family more, like his mom and dad, but no, it turned out to be from people inside Auggie's life, that are more his peers.  Which I ended up understanding why the author chose to do that; I imagine it is to make a little relatable for readers.  It worked really well!

Now with the audiobook, overall I liked it, but I have one complaint about the production.  This has nothing to do with the writing or storyline, but my one complaint is that I wish the production company of the audiobook would have picked all different people for the different perspectives.  I believe the book had three different readers, and they were doubling up on characters, so when there was a character switch, it was sometimes really hard to tell, because the voice would sound exactly the same.

However, Book review I give it...



On a sole rating of the audiobook, I would give it 3.5.

But I'm not here to rate the audiobook, because I have never read this book; and I really must say I was not disappointed about the story.  It was very heartwarming!  I am very much looking forward to seeing this movie soon; and once I do, I'll be sure to give it a review on The Romance Bookie. :)

Thanks everyone!  I hope you are having a great start to your summer!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. I really liked that movie as well as the book. Now you should see the movie, if you haven't!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick