Instructions for Dancing by Nicola Yoon

 Hello!

I hope everyone had a nice weekend! I can't believe it is Monday again and that we are approaching the midway point for 2021 already!  It is seriously blowing my mind how fast time is passing by!  

Last night I finished Nicola Yoon latest release Instructions for Dancing!

From Goodreads:


Evie Thomas doesn't believe in love anymore.  Especially after the strangest thing occurs one otherwise ordinary afternoon: She witnesses a couple kiss and is overcome with a vision of how their romance began...and how it will end.  After all, even the greatest love stories end with a broken heart, eventually.

As Evie tries to understand why this is happening, she finds herself at La Brea Dance Studio, learning to waltz, fox-trot, and tango with a boy named X.  X is everything that Evie is not: adventurous, passionate, daring. His philosophy is to say yes to everything -- including entering a ballroom dance competition with a girl he's only just met. 

Falling for X is definitely not what Evie had in mind. If her vision of heartbreak have taught her anything, it's that no one escapes love unscathed. But as she and X dance around and toward each other, Evie is forced to question all she thought she knew about life and love. In the end, is love worth the risk?

My Thoughts:

Nicola has officially joined my list of favorite authors.  I have enjoyed all three of her books, and she is now being added to my auto-buy list officially, after passing her trial run 😉.

I truly enjoyed Instructions for Dancing.  Evie was a great character who learns a lot during the time she has her "magic" ability of being able to see a couple's love story when they kiss.  Due to fairly recent family events, she has become turned off to the ability to fall in love with someone.  Throughout this story, the visions make her see more and more how love always has a ending, and why would you put yourself through that.  

X has the most loving personality, and just genuine character.  He is a person who loves with his whole heart.  I truly enjoyed reading his and Evie's journey.

That ending though...that bombshell of an ending.  It broke my fragile heart.  I did not expect that ending. I wanted to be mad, to be honest.  I wanted to swear at Nicola, and ask her what she was thinking.  I cried. 

But in the end it was beautiful.

Overall Rating:

I almost gave this one 4 for the ending, but Nicola did such an awesome job, I just couldn't.  I definitely recommend this one.

The Romance Bookie :)

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick