The Girl Least Likely by Katy Loutzenhiser

 Hey!


I finally finished an actual novel this month!  It's been a rather odd month.  I'm feeling off at the moment, can't really explain it, but my head has been in the clouds so to say.  

But anyway, finished an actual book in July, instead of another graphic novel.

The Girl Least Likely by Katy Loutzenhiser was released on June 29th, so a new release!

From Goodreads:



To All the Boys meets The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (with a dash of Dumplin') in this funny, romantic, and heartfelt coming of age story about a teen stand-up comic learning how to be her truest self, from the author of If You're Out There.

Gretchen has always been more of a "least likely" than a "most likely" kind of girl. So how does she somehow find herself living out every trope from her favorite rom-coms...?

The Best Friend Crush: Why is it suddenly so hard to act normal around her childhood BFF, Samuel? Must be time for a --

Makeover(!): Black leather pants and some red lipstick are apparently enough to lend Gretchen the bravado to do an impromptu set at a comedy club, and catch the eye of--

The Roguish Bad Boy: Jeremy, the alluring young comic who thinks her name is Sabrina. It might just be--

The Perfect Cover: A funny-girl alter-ego that frees Gretchen to explore who she really is--and what she really wants.  But as rom-coms have taught her, leading a double life can only last so long.


My Thoughts:

This one caught my eye, because I don't know if I've ever read a novel about stand-up comic.  I love stand-up, and the concept of a coming-of-age story being about a female stand-up comic was extremely intriguing to me!  

The Girl Least Likely was fun!  I definitely felt the To All the Boys and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel vibes.  I love both of those! So to read a story about similar subjects was super fun, and even honestly, pretty unique to me!  

Now I will say it did get pretty predicable, but I didn't mind that too much.  

My only other complaint is the editing on this book.  I don't know what it was, but I ran across, I feel like, a bunch of errors.  There were sentences with missing words a few times, among other things, and it stood out to me.  

Overall Rating:


Editing aside, it was cute, and just what I needed to get me out of this little reading slump I've been in since the end of June.  I really enjoyed the concept, the characters, and storyline.  The humor was okay, I wouldn't say it was award winning stand-up content, but it was a fun read! I definitely recommend it!

The Romance Bookie :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick