Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith (ARC)

Hey Everyone!

Finished another book, and just in time for the end of the summer!!

Before I continue though, I just wanted to share some super exciting news that I just found out...I have been awarded a Grant for this school year and a $1000 scholarship!! Not only will this semester be COMPLETELY covered but also NEXT SEMESTER, so that means MY ENTIRE SCHOOL year is taken care of!!!!!!!!!! :)

I cannot even tell you how much of a relief that is!!!!!!  I am so excited!!  This will be my first year at a university (I am transferring from a community college), so it's a bit nerve wracking, but also exciting to be one step closer to my bachelors!

Anyway, time for the review! :)

I RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING BOOK FOR REVIEW FROM THE PUBLISHER!  So thank you Poppy for the opportunity! And thank you Pasadena YA Fest for hosting the event where Poppy had donated these copies to! :)

From Goodreads:


On the night before they leave for college, Clare and Aidan only have one thing left to do: figure out whether they should stay together or break up.  Over the course of twelve hours, they'll retrace the steps of their relationship, trying to find something in their past that might help them decide what their future should be.  The night will lead them to friends and family, familiar landmarks and unexpected places, hard truths and surprising revelations.  But as the clock winds down and morning approaches, so does their inevitable goodbye.  The question is, will it be goodbye for now or goodbye forever?

This new must-read novel from Jennifer E. Smith, author of The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, explores the difficult choices that must be made when life and love lead in different directions.

My Thoughts:

Jennifer E. Smith is truly a very talented YA writer!  She comes up with great characters, and usually some really interesting story lines.

That being said, I unfortunately wouldn't call Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between one of my favorites.  I enjoyed it, don't get me wrong, but honestly I had some issues with the plot.

I understand the concept and idea of what Jennifer E. Smith was getting at, but at times I found myself rolling my eyes with annoyance at the character's problems.

I get it...saying goodbye is difficult.  But I think what really bothered me was Clare's single-mindedness.  I kept finding myself supporting Aidan, and thinking how stupid Clare was to throw something, she supposedly felt so strongly about, away.  Honestly it annoyed me.

However, as the story evolved things started changing.  Clare saw some of the points that Aidan was making about staying together.

I get it.  Going to separate colleges, on the opposite side of the country is difficult, but either way they were going end up with heartbreak, whether they broke up before going or after going.  So I didn't understand why they couldn't have just given it a try, with the long distance thing, and then calling it quits if it got too difficult.

I don't know, maybe I am wrong.  But overall I did enjoy the story.  It was interesting, and while Clare wasn't my favorite at times, it was still a pretty good read.

Overall Rating:



I am definitely excited for Jennifer E. Smith's future works.  She is definitely very talented and always comes up with an interesting idea for a book.  I also really love the covers, and how well they work together on the shelf! I love it when authors covers have patterns in their art work, and just change colors :).

Anyway, check it out, if the story line is of interest to you! It comes out September 1st!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. I'd agree with you :) I read this book a while back. LOVE Smith's books but I think I gave this one 3 or 3.5/5.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick