The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

Hey Everyone!

I finished The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon this morning!

From Goodreads:


Natasha: I'm a girl who believes in science and facts.  Not fate.  Not destiny.  Or dreams that will never come true.  I'm definitely not the kind of girl who meets a cute boy on a crowded New York City street and falls in love with him.  Not when my family is twelve hours away from being deported to Jamaica.  Falling in love with him won't be my story.

Daniel: I've always been the good son, the good student, living up to my parents' high expectations.  Never the poet.  Or the dreamer.  But when I see her, I forget about all that.  Something about Natasha makes me think that fate has something much more extraordinary in store--- for both of us.

The Universe:  Every moment in our lives has brought us to this single moment.  A million futures lie before us.  Which one will come true?

My Thoughts:

Nicola Yoon has such a unique writing style.  In both The Sun is Also a Star and Everything Everything she writes in the different characters point of views, but both seem so different at the same time.  I like it.  It makes her stand out from other authors!  She also writes about very unique situations.

The Sun is Also a Star brings on the subject of immigration.  Which I think, is a subject, that is not written about often, even though it is a huge part of our American political society.  It is not always a popular subject, especially given our current political standing.  It is a subject that speaks very much to me though, because as some of you may know, I am an immigrant myself.  So to read about someone else going through some tough immigration things, that a lot of people wouldn't understand, was nice.

It was interesting, yet confusing at times, how Nicola wrapped into the story not only Natasha and Daniel's point of views in each chapters, but also some of the minor characters POVs, and even explaining things like destiny and fate.  To understand what drove other people to do bad things, is something a lot of us would like to know, and Nicola was able to explain those things with her writing.

Overall Rating:


I enjoyed it!  It really kept me wanting to know the outcome!  At times I was confused by the point of view changes, and while I did enjoy the different perspectives, at times I had a hard time keeping up. This is not a book that you should put down for long periods of time, because you might get lost.  I read it over the last couple of weeks, and didn't have all that much time to read, and I found myself confused a couple of times, having to go back to see what I forgot.  I do really recommend this book!  


As some of you may know, The Sun is Also a Star, has officially been released in theaters as a movie a few weeks ago!  I'm very much intrigued to see how they told the story via screen adaptation!

Let me know what you thought of the book and/or movie!  No spoilers for the movie though please!

The Romance Bookie :)




Comments

  1. I really want to read this one, the movie looked good too but already came and went at my local theater :( may look around to see if others have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've missed it too, but I'll rent it this summer when it hits Redbox! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick