Spoiler Alert by Olivia Date

 Hey!


I know it's been a while!  It's been super busy in my house.  We will be moving this coming Monday, and some HUGE changes coming to my family.  My husband and I are very excited, but of course with moving comes stress.  It's taken us a few months to get ready, and my head just hasn't been there for reading.  


But anyway, I FINALLY finished a book yesterday!  This one caught my eye this summer during a rare solo trip to Barnes and Noble, where I actually had time to browse at my leisure.  


So here's my review for Spoiler Alert by Olivia Dade!

From Goodreads:


Olivia Dade bursts onto the scene in this delightfully fun romantic comedy set in the world of fan fiction, in which a devoted fan goes on an unexpected date with her celebrity crush, whose secretly posting fan fiction of his own.

Marcus Caster-Rupp has a secret. While the world knows him as Aeneas, the star of the biggest show on TV, Gods of the Gates, he's known to fan fiction readers as Book!AeneasWouldNever, an anonymous and popular poster. Marcus is able to get out his frustrations with his character through his stories, especially the ones that feature the internet's favorite couple to ship, Aeneas and Lavinia.  But if anyone ever found out about his online persona, he'd be fired.  Immediately.

April Whittier has secrets of her own. A hardcore Lavinia fan, she's hidden her fan fiction and cosplay hobby from her "real life" for years--  but not anymore.  When she decides to post her latest Lavinia creation on Twitter, her photo goes viral.  Trolls and supporters alike are commenting on her plus-size take, but when Marcus, one half of her OTP, sees her pic and asks her out on a date to spite her critics, she realizes life is really stranger than fanfiction.

Even though their first date is a disaster, Marcus quickly realizes that he wants much more from April than a one-time publicity stunt. And when he discovers she's actually Unapologetic Lavinia Stan, his closest fandom friend, he has one more huge secret to hide from her.

With love and Marcus's career on the line, can the two of them stop hiding once and for all, or will a match made in fandom end up prematurely cancelled?

My Thoughts:

So I started reading this book in July.  I kept putting it down and reading something else, because while it was a cute and I liked the idea of the story line, it just turned out to be a bit too over-the-top for me.  Like super hokey, honestly.  I was so excited to have another plus-size character to read about, but April just fell super short for me.  In one sense she is pretty insecure, but then on the other she doesn't give a sh*%.  Fine, that's great, but then she lets things just get to her so hard, and quite honestly falls into bed with the main character, aka the hottest actor in Hollywood, within a couple of dates.  

The writing was...meh.  Honestly, the whole thing felt like a work of fan fiction, not just the snippets in between the chapters.  

And then we have Marcus...Oh Marcus.  He's got this huge secret from Hollywood, and then it comes out what it is, and you're like...Okay...that's it? This book was huge on making a big deal about nothing.  Accept yourself? Great, it did that.  But don't make everyone a victim.  It's not necessary.


Overall Rating:


I wanted to like the story, and while the idea sounded like something I would enjoy, overall it just lacked a lot.  I've preordered her new book, because it's a sort of sequel, that tells the story of another set of characters in the book; which was left on a weird cliff-hanger.  But that is mainly because I wanted to know what happened with them.  Let's see if I actually read it.


The Romance Bookie :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick