Last Chance Books by Kelsey Rodkey (Audiobook)

 Hey Everyone!

It's been a minute, and for once it isn't because I haven't been reading!  In fact, I have A LOT of catching up to do!  Like a lot!

I have been reading a lot! In fact, every time I finish a book, I just roll right into the next one, instead of updating The Romance Bookie, working on the Bookstagram, or even updating my Always Fully Booked Planner.  

So here goes the updating!

This review is for Last Chance Books by Kelsey Rodkey.

From Goodreads:


Don't you just love the smell of old books in the morning?

Madeline Moore does. Books & Moore, the musty bookstore her family has owned for generations, is where she feels most herself. Nothing is going to stop her from coming back after college to take over the store from her beloved aunt.

Nothing, that is--until a chain bookstore called Prologue opens across the street and threatens to shut them down. 

Madeline sets out to demolish the competition, but Jasper, the guy who works over at Prologue, seems intent on ruining her life. Not only is he taking her customers, he has the unbelievable audacity to be...extremely cute.

But that doesn't matter. Jasper is the enemy and he will be destroyed. After all-- all's fair in love and (books) wars.


My Thoughts:

So this was an absolute cover-buy for me.  A book featuring two rival bookstores and two people who run said opposite bookstores?  Yeah you have my attention.

Unfortunately this one fell way short for me.  I'm talking way short.

The description is where my like for this book ends.  I liked the story idea, but everything about it just fell way short for me.  

I absolutely disliked the main character, Madeline.  What an immature, self-centered, nasty person.  I just did not like her at all.  Then the enemy/love interest, Jasper?  Oh my goodness, what a dull, uninteresting character.  

I should also mention that I listened to the audiobook for this one; which really set another mood for me, when it came to this book.  And not a good one.  

The narrator for the audiobook was awful.  I feel bad writing this, but I almost made this book a "Did-Not-Finish" a few times.  I do wonder if my views of this book would be different if I hadn't listened to the audiobook.  However, the narrator, I'm pretty sure, didn't add the amount of times that Madeline uses the word "like".  

Also what was the narrator thinking when it came to giving the other characters, especially the guys their voices???!! 

All the guy characters had a sleepy lull voice to their head.  Okay, I'm just going to say it...they sounded stoned out of their minds.  All of them.  Same with Madeline's best friend.  Her best friend was a "Famous" You-Tuber and her voice sounded like this guy...

  

via GIPHY

This book just fell so short for me.

Overall Rating:


The only reason I'm giving this one two, instead of one bookie, is because I managed to finish it, and I still like the story concept.  It was just executed very poorly for my liking.


The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick