Guest Review from Erin: Teardrop (Teardrop #1) by Lauren Kate

Hello! I've got a review for you!  Teardrop by Lauren Kate, who also wrote the Fallen series!!  This is the first book in a duology-came out a while ago! Anyway, on to the review!

From Goodreads:


Never, ever cry...

Seventeen-year-old Eureka won't let anyone close enough to feel her pain. After her mother was killed in a freak accident, the things she used to love hold no meaning. She wants to escape, but one thing holds her back: Ander, the boy who is everywhere she goes, whose turquoise eyes are like the ocean. And then Eureka uncovers an ancient tale of romance and heartbreak, about a girl who cried an entire continent into the sea. Suddenly her mother's death and Ander's appearance seem connected, and her life takes on dark undercurrents that don't make sense. Can everything you love be washed away?

Erin's Review:

Wow, this is a book that can really suck you in.  Although it isn't my favorite book or anything, I found it super engrossing.  I had the hardest time trying to put it down.  I don't know what it is about it, but geez! The reason that I find this odd is because Teardrop is not a high action book.  It's actually quite slow paced and there aren't any huge high-tension events going on.  Why is this book so addictive??? I have no clue! Note: I also had the same problem when I was reading Fallen.  How does Lauren Kate do this????

I have to say, the story's premise is unique, but not my favorite.  A girl's whose tear can destroy the world.  Sounds pretty cool, but it doesn't immediately catch my attention.  it's a bit of an odd premise.

My absolute favorite part of the book was the prologue, which is told in Ander's point of view! It sets up the story so well and it's fantastic! It's cool because it has a strong sense of mystery and gives a what's happening?? vibe.  In addition, the prologue gives you a lot of information in the basics of what's going on and it increases the overall tension of the book because you get to know stuff that the main character, Eureka, doesn't find out until later.  So, I do that cringing thing where I'm just waiting for Eureka to find out the truth!!! Aaahhh!!

If you've read Fallen, I think that you'll find that there are a lot of similarities in terms of format with Teardrop.  First of all, it starts off with a prologue in the romantic interest's point of view and like Fallen, the book is written in third person.  A lot of people might argue (myself included) that Teardrop is way similar to Fallen.  Not in terms of story or anything, but the feel of the book.  It's slower paced, not a ton of action (which may also prompt a lot of people to say it's a boring book, stuff like that.  There are probably lots of similarities between Luce and Eureka as well and I think that's because there doesn't  seem to be (at least for me) a really big distinction between their voices.  When I read Teardrop and Fallen, I hear the same voice and if their names were switched, I don't think that I'd notice a big difference between the two characters.

Overall Rating:

I do have the sequel, Waterfall, in my grasp, so I probably will give it a read when I get a chance, but I can easily say that it's not my favorite series.  I think the second book is going to have some more action, but we'll see when I get there!! :D

Erin @The Romance Bookie :)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick