Erin: The Mime Order Book Event

Hi Everyone!

I am super excited to let you guys know that I was able to attend Samantha Shannon's event celebrating the release of her latest book The Mime Order, which is the sequel to The Bone Season.

All right, so I have a terrible confession to make...I was not able to read The Bone Season before I went to this event.  Ah, I know it's HORRIBLE and I am so ashamed -- forgive me! Also, I'd like to apologize for forgetting to take photos (eek!)! But regardless, I had so much fun at this event.  Samantha Shannon is an incredible, amazing person! She was so funny and so nice and so, so modest about all the success she's had!

Not exaggerating at all, this was one of the best events I've gone to!  I had so much fun just listening to Samantha talk! I am totally obsessed with her now (in a nice way :D)! She's absolutely brilliant -- I mean, she graduated from Oxford, so yeah -- not to mention how personable and kind she is! And can you believe how young she is?? She's only 23 years old!!! And she was only 20 years old when she got her book deal! It's so awesome that she is such a well-rounded, down-to-earth person she is, considering how big she is!! She has so many funny stories -- I only wish I could have heard more!  Ugh, guys she's wonderful!

Also, not super relevant, but she is from London!! Which I think is super cool cause England is such an awesome place and I LOVE London!! Plus, their accents!! Eeee!!

Now, here are some fun facts that I learned from the event!

*Samantha wrote her first novel when she was fifteen; it was a "Science-fiction epic romance."
*Samantha would like Benedict Cumberbatch to play Jaxon (which I totally approve because, duh -- BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH!)

*She got the idea for The Bone Season while she was walking around in Oxford, when she imagined these lovely Victorian buildings being inhabited by supernatural beings in combination with this district in London filled with clairvoyance which she came across when she was working as an intern for a literary agency.

*The first line of The Bone Season is the first line that came to her: "I'd like to imagine there were more of us in the beginning."

*Before writing The Bone Season, she had always written in third-person.

*Samantha wrote the first draft of The Bones Season in six months while was in her second year at Oxford (and another thing I learned -- apparently in England, the second year is the coasting year -- no exams!)

*And super random fact when I was talking to her...she is reading A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (with whom she did an event with earlier) and she is currently on Chapter Seven (as of when I met her)!!

*I cannot tell you how excited I am to read her books now! They sound absolutely amazing and terribly original! Knowing how great of a person she is just increases the level of respect I have for her and her books!

Anyway, if you ever get a chance to go to one of Samantha's events, I highly, highly, recommend it! It is definitely worth it!!!

Erin @The Romance Bookie :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick