Wildflower by Drew Barrymore

Hey!

In my neighborhood we have this cool book box!  In it we can put books in and take a book when we see something we want to read ourselves.  I love this thing!  I look into multiple times a week, to see if there is anything new; I've put a few in myself too.  Out of that box, I recently found Drew Barrymore's memoir, Wildflower.  I have always loved Drew Barrymore's movies!  Especially the ones she does with Adam Sandler!  Blended is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time!  In fact I watched it last night with my husband for like the hundredth time!  So I was really excited to read her memoir!

A lot of us have heard the notorious stories about Drew Barrymore's childhood.  So I was really intrigued to hear her story from the person who actually lived it herself.

From Goodreads:


Wildflower is a portrait of Drew's life in stories as she looks back on the adventures, challenges, and incredible experiences she's had throughout her life.  It includes tales of living in her apartment as a teenager (and how laundry may have saved her life), getting stuck under a gas station overhang on a cross-country road trip, saying good-bye to her father in a way only he could have understood, and many more journeys and lessons that have led her to the successful, happy, and healthy place she is today.


My Thoughts:

I have always admired Drew Barrymore.  I grew up with her movies since a very young age.  Obviously starting with ET (which I will admit, is not one of my favorites; not because of Drew, I just don't like Alien movies); then to Ever After (because you can give this girl any take on the classic story of Cinderella); in my teens it was Never Been Kissed and 50 First Dates.  Then when my 80s obsession came into play in high school it was The Wedding Singer.

I loved her Rom-coms for as long as I can remember, and am still waiting for her next collaboration with Adam Sandler!  In Wildflower she actually writes about how her relationship started with Adam Sandler!

Growing up, and being a fan of Drew Barrymore, I heard about her young life.  I had always heard about her being an alcoholic at a VERY young age, going to clubs, and her partying ways starting at the age of 8.

But on screen I never saw that Drew.  I saw the Drew that I read about in Wildflower.  A happy person who turned the toughest kid years into life lessons that shaped a better person in her adult years.  The love that she has for her daughters, Olive and Frankie;  just gave me such joy, because reading about her mom and dad; and how their was not much of a relationship from a very young age on.  Someone doesn't get emancipated from their parents at 14 for no reason after all.

I also really admired that she didn't focus on the details of those young years, in terms of the negative things the media has portrayed.  While she doesn't deny them, she explains in subtle ways how they shaped her to be a better person later on; while still rebelling along the way a bit (i.e. driving a car through a parking structure exit after closing hours).

It was interesting to read about the adventurous, strong, and very independent person; and her journey into adultness starting at the age of 14.  Yet, she also showed her vulnerability and doubt; which was very important to her growing into the person she is today.

While things have obviously changed for her since 2015 (when Wildflowers was first released) such as her divorce from her daughters' father; I want to believe she still has that strong independent spunk that I read from her in her memoir.  She definitely is a powerhouse when it comes to her makeup company!  I love seeing updates on that on Instagram!

Overall Rating:


I truly enjoyed Wildflower!  Any fan of Drew Barrymore should definitely check it out!  While at time her stories jumped around a bit, and I kept wanting more information on other story endings, it was a wonderful view into Drew's life; and I hope to hear more from her later on in life, if she decides to continue her story for her fans!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick