Instant Karma by Marissa Meyer

 Hey!

So I finished Instant Karma by Marissa Meyer!  I really enjoyed this one! I haven't gotten to enjoy a book like this in probably easily over a year, so it was really nice.


From Goodreads:


Chronic overachiever Prudence Barnett is always quick to cast judgement on the lazy, rude, and arrogant residents of her coastal town.  Her dreams of karmic justice are fulfilled when, after a night out with her friends, she wakes up with the sudden ability to cast instant karma on those around her.

Pru giddily makes use of the power, punishing everyone from public vandals to mean gossips, but there is one person on whom her powers consistently backfire: Quint Erickson, her slacker of a lab partner.  Quint is annoyingly cute and impressively noble, especially when it comes to his work with the rescue center for local sea animals.  

When Pru resigns herself to working at the rescue center for extra credit, she begins to uncover truths about baby otters, environmental upheaval, and romantic crossed signals -- not necessarily in that order.  Her newfound karmic insights reveal how thin the line is between virtue and vanity, generosity and greed, love and hate...and fate.

My Thoughts:

This is Marissa Meyer's first contemporary novel, and I really must say I think she did a great job!  I'm a huge fan of the Lunar Chronicles, which is more science-fiction, but she really came out with a fun contemporary read.  Prudence was a great character that really found herself throughout the novel, and was relatable I think.  Quint, as a reader, you quickly learn isn't who he seems to be either in Pru's mind.  

Overall Rating:



Now I will say, I found the storyline predictable, but then again, what YA contemporary isn't? But I really enjoyed it.  It was fun, had great characters that developed well throughout the book, and brought everything together at the end.  

I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun contemporary with a little magic sprinkled in!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick