What Has Happened to the Book World??

 Hey!

So as I mentioned a couple of weeks ago, I made an Instagram account for The Romance Bookie a couple of weeks ago.  

There are some BEAUTIFUL instagram accounts for book reviewers/followers/collectors, whatever you want to call it nowadays.  

I'm going into the "Bookstagram" world looking for a fun outlet, where I'll hopefully get back into reading, and just have fun sharing posts about books, my shelves, and even some other hobbies (i.e. Disney, Funko Pops, and DIY projects).  

I've been in this for a very short time, and I'm so out of touch it seems with the book world, that I've come across a little bit of...maybe culture shock?  Not sure what to call it really,  but man I'm just going to say it...



via GIPHY


Is this like a job for people???

I mean, don't get me wrong, when I was doing this a few years ago, it got a bit intense at times.  Fellow book bloggers would get so competitive on getting their hands on certain ARCs, and even to the extreme of book shaming other readers at book signings and events (yeah...that happened a couple of times. 🙄).

But holy moly do people take this serious!

I've been seeing people apologize for their picture presets...


WHAT IS A PICTURE PRESET???

I had someone message me the other day asking me if I wanted to join their book group for exposure, and I said, "Sure", and added them...and I got this response...



Those are rules!! To follow a page on Instagram.  RULES, people! 

I'm supposed to tell them when I go on a break...or if I decide to leave the group!  


Here's the conversation from my Insta:



I'm not here to call anyone out, so I've scratched out the names, but I just couldn't believe it??!

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I really have to say, I couldn't believe it.  The funny part...not to be that person, is that this page had even less followers than me (I believe like 22 at the time), and I have like 68 (which is nothing!!), and they wanted me to tag them in all of my posts to help promote my Instagram.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't I be promoting them more than them promoting me??

Even funnier part, is they unfollowed me after this conversation 😂.

Here's what I have to say to that:


via GIPHY


Sorry, just had to share.  

I'm just having fun.  I need an outlet for myself, to get out of my head, and have me-time.  And this is sort of allowing me to do that.  The Romance Bookie blog, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, etc are all for fun.  There is 100% no monetary gain from doing any of this (besides in the past when I was sent ARCs, which wasn't monetary, just my love was bought with books 😉).  In fact, this costs me money...I'm buying books again!  The Romance Bookie is here to be my book journal in life.  A place to share my love for books and my favorite things.  And every so often I'll post an update of my life, because I'm bored, and sad, and don't really have anyone to talk to besides my loving husband and six month old.  


Anyway, rant over.  Let's all get back to our Sunday, and enjoy what is left of it (or for some of you, enjoy your bed, because it's either dark, the middle of the night, or you know already Monday there...to which I have to say, "I'm sorry," but also "Happy Monday!"

If you feel so inclined, and want to check out my Instagram, I will always appreciate that!  You can follow or just check it out HERE.

I'm currently reading the actual physical book, Instant Karma by Marissa Meyer, so hopefully will have that finished...at some point 😁.


The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick