The Viscount Who Loved Me (Bridgerton #2) by Julia Quinn (Audiobook)

Yay for Weekend!


Okay I finished another book...the second book in the Bridgerton series, The Viscount who Loved Me.  I needed to know what is to come in Season 2 of the Netflix show, and I couldn't wait an entire year!  

So I ended up listening to this one, because Amazon has this awesome thing where you can get a really nice discount on the audiobook, through Audible, when you buy the e-book.  And while I was going to read the e-book at times, and listen to the audiobook when I wasn't able to read, I ended up just listening to this book in its entirety.  

From Goodreads:

Image from Goodreads


1814 promises to be another eventful season, but not, this author believes, for Anthony Bridgerton, London's most elusive bachelor, who has shown no indication that he plans to marry.  And in truth, why should he?  When it comes to playing the consummate rake, nobody does it better...

-Lady Whistledown's Society Papers, April 1814

But this time, the gossip columnists have it wrong.  Anthony Bridgerton hasn't just decided to marry -- he's even chosen a wife!  The only obstacle is his intended's older sister, Kate Sheffield -- the most meddlesome woman ever to grace a London ballroom.  The spirited schemer is driving Anthony mad with her determination to stop the betrothal, but when he closes his eyes at night, Kate is the woman haunting his increasingly erotic dreams...

Contrary to popular believe, Kate is quite sure that reformed rakes do not make the best husbands -- and Anthony Bridgerton is the most wicked rogue of them all.  Kate is determined to protect her sister -- but she fears her own heart is vulnerable.  And when Anthony's lips touch hers, she's suddenly afraid she might not be able to resist the reprehensible rake herself...

My Thoughts:

So I listened to this one almost completely via audiobook.  I'm going to talk about the story overall first, and then my thoughts on the overall audiobook version of The Viscount Who Loved Me

So overall, I'm going to just be straight forward and say, the story overall was fine, however, the writing bothered me.  I found it to be...lazy.  

I don't want to give anything away, but there was quite a bit of repeat storyline from the first book, and it actually really bothered me.  The second book is about different characters.  The Duke and Duchess (from the first book), make an appearance in this one, but overall the focus is on Anthony (Daphne's oldest brother) and Kate.  

There was a big scene in the middle of the book, that was pretty much just copied from the first book, minus the (*hint hint*) dual, from the first one, beforehand.  I really think the author could have come up with something else, and it is making me a bit worried that the rest of the books are going to have this too.

Anthony was overall an okay character.  I actually thought the actor, who portrayed him in the show, seemed much more interesting, so I'm really hoping they change some things for season 2 (compared to the book, that is).  (I know, I know...I'm actually asking for the show to be different than the book...🤯).

I did like Kate, I'm excited to see what they do with her character in the show.  

My favorite scene that stuck out for me and made me laugh out loud, was at one point, near the end of the novel, Anthony's brother pick on him a bit, while he is hungover, and I just pictured the actor's from the show, and it was great.  

Now on to what I thought about the audiobook...

I believe I mentioned this in my review of the first book (found HERE), but I'm just going to say it again...the narrator of the audiobook does not have a sexy voice.  This is just my opinion, but man...is she boring.  And when she does the male voice...oh goodness is it awful!  

Now you may be asking, why listen to the audiobook of the second one, when I didn't particularly care for the first one?

Well, reading a physical book can be a bit difficult sometimes, in fact...very difficult when you have a six month old who has now learned to roll all over the place.  Audiobooks allow me to watch him and do things around the house, plus I can listen while I'm driving to and from errands; and I still get in my reading time!  

Overall Rating:


Overall, audiobook feelings aside, the story was lacking a bit for me.  It felt too similar to the first book, which, in all honesty, is making me a little worried about season 2 of Netflix's Bridgerton series.  There are two Bridgerton characters that I'm still looking forward to hearing their story, Benedict and Eloise.  They were my favorite characters in the show, and I think they'll have some intriguing storylines!


The Romance Bookie :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick