Heartstopper Volume 1-3 by Alice Oseman (Graphic Novels)

 Hey Everyone!

My husband and I recently moved our little family to a new town, and last week we decided to go for a walk together and check out our new (to us) local library.  It was such a great experience, because for one, I haven't set foot in a library in quite some time (both due to Covid, but also because my old local library wasn't really all that great), and two because we have such a great library now.  They have a beautiful children's section, decked out with a giant pirate's ship, columns holding up the building that look like giant books, and a wonderfully stocked Young Adult section.  

They had an ample supply of graphic novels, and because of my newly found obsession this year, on graphic novels, I found myself filling the stroller with those initially.  I ended up with four graphic novels, and two regular chapter novels.  To which my husband said, "That's probably enough."  Well, challenge was accepted apparently, because I finished all four graphic novels this past weekend, and one of the novels over the next couple of days, and have now started the sixth and final novel.  I read five books over a four day period.  Something I haven't done in a very long time.  Now I realize, graphic novels are quick reads, usually, but it still felt very accomplishing, especially since an actual chapter book was added into the mix as well.  


I have some catching up to do on reviews, so for today I'm reviewing the first three books I read this past weekend, which are part of a series by Alice Oseman called Heartstopper.  I've been seeing these book around bookstagram for a while now, so when I saw that the library had the first three I decided to finally check them out!


***WARNING***Spoilers may be ahead if you haven't read the series.  This is a review for the first three books!***

From Goodreads:

Heartstopper: Volume 1:


Charlie, a highly-strung, openly gay over-thinker, and Nick, a cheerful, soft-hearted rugby player, meet at a British all-boys grammar school.  Friendship blooms quickly, but could there be something more...?

Charlie Spring is in Year 10 at Truham Grammar School for Boys.  The past year hasn't been too great, but at least he's not being bullied anymore.  Nick Nelson is in Year 11 and on the school rugby team.  He's heard a little about Charlie - the kid who was outed last year and bullied for a few months - but he's never had the opportunity to talk to him.

They quickly become friends, and soon Charlie is falling hard for Nick, even though he doesn't think he has a chance. But love works in surprising ways, and sometimes good things are waiting just around the corner...

Heartstopper: Volume 2:


Nick and Charlie are best friends.  Nick know Charlie's gay, and Charlie is sure that Nick isn't. 

But love works in surprising ways, and Nick is discovering all kinds of things about his friends, his family...and himself. 


Heartstopper: Volume 3:


In this volume we'll see the Heartstopper gang go on a school trip to Paris!  Not only are Nick and Charlie navigating a new city, but also telling more people about their relationship AND learning more about the challenges each other are facing in private...

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed these, and am very much looking forward to finding out more about Nick and Charlie in the fourth Heartstopper, which is supposed to be released early 2022!  What makes their relationship special compared to other YA novels, is how real it feels.  The awkward moments of first getting to know someone, not being sure where this is headed, and then ultimately navigating whether this will work out or not...it's all here.  And you feel it right from the beginning.  The story is building nicely, but it is a shame how fast the books go by (it took me about 20-30 minutes to read each one), and then now waiting for the next one.  Can't imagine having read these one at a time, and having to wait each year for the new one.  But Alice Oseman really did do a great job bringing these characters to life!  I would really love to read more about Charlie, and how he was outed the year before, and what the bullying was that happened, and who it involved.  It's mentioned throughout, and pieces are coming together, so I hope more is coming in the next books on that.  I also love Nick's mom and Charlie's parents.  I love how loving and supportive they are of their sons.  

Overall Review:


Definitely check these out!  They are really cute, fun, and real reads!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick