The Twelve Days of Dash & Lily (Dash & Lily #2) by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan (Audiobook)

 Hey!

Another review coming your way! This was a quick holiday read that I listened to on Audiobook over the last few days.  

I had the opportunity back in the day to read an ARC of the first book in this series, and absolutely loved it!  Since then Dash & Lily's Book of Dares has been released as Netflix movie (which is also super cute), and two more books have been added to the story; something I didn't learn about until last year, when I watched the movie.  Since then, I've wanted to read the next books, because I truly loved the first book.  It was such a fun read, that took you through the streets of my favorite setting in a book, New York City.  It was a story of finding oneself, finding love, friendship, family, and so much more.  

When I found out that my local library had an online audiobook library I ended up finding, The Twelve Days of Dash & Lily, and since it's the holiday season, I thought what a great time to finally read this book off my TBR list!

From Goodreads:


Dash and Lily have had a tough year since they first fell in love among the shelves of their favorite bookstore. Lily's beloved grandfather suffered a heart attack, and his difficult road to recovery has taken a major toll on her typically sunny disposition.

With only twelve days left until Christmas -- Lily's favorite time of the year -- Dash, Lily's brother Langston, and their closest friends must take Manhattan by storm to help Lily recapture the unique holiday magic of a glittering, snow covered New York City in December.


My Thoughts:

It has been so long since I got to enjoy Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, but I still think about that book every so often, so that should tell you how much enjoyed it.  Rachel Cohn and David Levithan are book match made in heaven when it comes to them writing together.  They have this amazing talent to have their two characters flow flawlessly together to make a great story.  

The Twelve Days of Dash & Lily did have that natural flow that Levithan and Cohn has mastered over the last almost two decades together.  However, I don't know if it is because I listened to the audiobook and heard a different POV taken on Dash and Lily's characters, but I ended up not liking this one as much as I had hoped.  

While the story flowed great, and wasn't bad or anything, I just had a really hard time with Lily.  Her immaturity really flowed through in this book.  Now, again it's been almost a decade since I read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares and my 30 year old self is a bit different than my 21-year old self from back then; but Lily just felt too young for me in this one.  I found her annoying, unrealistic, and naive.  I'm not even sure I found myself routing for Dash and Lily to make it by the end of this one.  

My Rating: 


I'm giving it three bookies, because I still think the talent from Levithan and Cohn is obvious in this one!  But because of the turn of events, and the character development, it didn't become a favorite of mine.  I have the third book in the series on hold at the library, but am not sure if I'll keep it.  We'll see once it comes in for me to try to read. 

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick