Midnight Sun by Stephenie Meyer (Audiobook)

 Hey!

Today I have a review for a book that I have been waiting a LONG time to read!  It was finally released officially last year so I have the chance for a while to read it, but didn't get to it until now.  I ended up getting the audiobook of it, because I have recently really gotten into planning, and decorating said planners, and all things to do with planners (calendars, stickers, Washi tape, Happy Planner accessories, etc).  It's become a serious addiction, but a nice welcome to getting my head out this crazy world we live in.  Anyway, my head hasn't been in picking up a physical book in a while, so I figured let's try an audiobook, instead of watching yet another random movie from Netflix.  Anyway, let's get to it...the review for Midnight Sun, a review over a decade in the making.

From Goodreads:


When Edward Cullen and Bella Swan met in Twilight, an iconic love story was born.  But until now, fans have heard only Bella's side of the story.  At last, readers can experience Edward's version in the long-awaited companion novel, Midnight Sun.

This unforgettable tale as told through Edward's eyes take on a new and decidedly dark twist.  Meeting Bella is both the most unnerving and intriguing event he has experienced in all his years as a vampire. As we learn more fascinating details about Edward's past and the complexity of his inner thoughts, we understand why this is the defining struggle of his life. How can he justify following his heart if it means leading Bella into danger?


My Thoughts:

Goodness I still somehow can't believe that the time has finally come that I get to write this review.  I first read The Twilight Saga during my senior year of high school in '08.  I got absolutely enthralled in the series, like thousands (if not millions) of other people.  Since 2008 I have reread this series, countless times.  I own a bunch of editions of the series, along with countless other memorabilia in the past.  It was a slight obsession...okay maybe not so slight.  

When Stephenie Meyer announced over a decade ago that she would not be releasing Midnight Sun after a fan leaked the first few chapters, it was devastating for me.  I was so sad when the series ended, I wanted more of Edward and Bella, and the entire Cullen and Swan families; and if I'm being honest I was a bit disappointed in the blog post Stephenie Meyer wrote where it sounded like she was blaming her entire fanbase, and I didn't think that was fair to those of us who were waiting patiently, and hadn't broken the law.

It took me a long time to finally read those few chapters, it wasn't until I had given up hope that this book would never see the light of day.  Of course, they left me wanting more.  More that us, fans, didn't get until over a decade later.  

Anyway, it's finally here, and as the saying goes, "Better late than never!"

As mentioned, I ended up listening to the audiobook of Midnight Sun.  

It was very intriguing listening to Edward's side of the story.  Hear his thoughts, versus Bella's, and to be able to understand his power even further.  There was also a lot more in-depth stories told through Edward about the other Cullen family members, and even other characters throughout the series, which was great!  

Even though I have lost hope in ever getting anything else out of Stephenie Meyer, in terms of books being released in the future (I mean she still hasn't even talked about a sequel to The Host), I do hope for Alice's story one day.  An in-depth story on how Alice came to be, how she and Jasper found each other, and how their life continued.  

Overall Rating:


I'm a Twi-Hard, and have been since 2008, when I picked up my paperback copy of Twilight my school's book fair.  I devoured those books in less than two weeks, and drove my parents nuts with my obsession.  Midnight Sun allowed me to get back into one of my favorite world's one more time from a new perspective, and I truly enjoyed that.  

So yes, I would definitely recommend checking this one out if you haven't already, and are a fan of The Twilight Saga.

Hope everyone is having a lovely holiday season so far, and I hope to be back soon!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick