Something Borrowed is Something Amazing!

So I finished Something Borrowed last night, and let me just start by saying that I couldn't put it down!
I LOVED IT!!

Something BorrowedJust like the quotes on the back of the novel said, by other reviewers, it was real, funny, romantic, and absolutely adorable!

Emily Giffin wrote an amazing novel, that couldn't describe the act of falling in love unexpectedly better...especially when it comes to falling in love with your best friend's fiance.

Now, let me just start by saying that before reading this novel I was 100% against the act of cheating/adultery.  However, reading this novel made me realize a few things.  First, sometimes there can be exceptions.  And second, when you find your "one true love" or "soul mate" or whatever else you may call him/her, there isn't much that can be done to stop your heart from feeling what it feels; especially if the other person feels the same way.

The story is about Rachel, who has just turned 30.  Feeling down, by the fact that she has hit the big 3-0, making her officially "middle-aged", and by the fact that she is still unmarried, single in-fact, and without children; unlike how she always imagined herself to be while she was growing up in Indiana.
Now, however, Rachel is a Duke graduate, a lawyer, working for a firm in New York City, making well into the 6-figures every year.  She doesn't particularly like her job, especially her boss, but Rachel, being the type of person to having followed all the rules her entire life, just doesn't feel she has any other choice but to continue her life the way it is.

However, all of that changed on the eve of her 30th birthday party.  The party thrown by her egotistical childhood best friend, Darcy.  The party is attended by the same amount of Darcy's friends, as Rachel's, and of course by Darcy's fiance, Dex, the man that Rachel introduced to Darcy 7 years earlier, while him and Rachel both attended Duke to get their law degrees.  That night, after Darcy gets so wasted that she ends going home alone, after she persuades Dex to stay and keep Rachel company, Rachel and him end up being the last ones at the party, and decide to jump around town to different bars.  On their home, as they share a taxi, Rachel and Dex make a huge mistake...or maybe a not so huge one...they "hook-up" or in other words, "sleep together".

That is the beginning of their full-fledged affair.  However, Rachel believing at first, that it was a mistake, soon finds out that Dex really truly likes her...in fact he has since they first met each other during law school.  However, through mixed-messages their was never a romantic relationship started between them; instead Rachel introduced Dex to Darcy, making him believe that Rachel wasn't interested in him, and he ended up with Darcy...and seven years later getting engaged to her.

While, reading the novel I got really worried.  Since the reviews on the back said the story was very "real", I was very afraid that I was going to be disappointed in the ending.  I don't want to give away too much, so all I going to add is that even though the story was very realistic, it was also very nail-biting for me, because I just couldn't figure out how it was going to end!

Overall Rating:


The novel was super cute!  And I definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a great romantic-comedic, read.  It's an easy reader...I finished it in less than a two days, which is pretty fast for me.  I couldn't put it down, and it probably may have kept me from studying for my finals ;).

Well, anyway, that's it for yet another entry.  The movie on this novel did come into theaters last weekend.  It's with Kate Hudson (from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days and Bride Wars) and Ginnifer Goodwin (from He's Just Not that Into You).  I really hope to watch the movie in the next two weeks, and as soon as I do, I will write about how it compared to the novel.

I hope everyone has a great weekend, and again I wish all the students luck studying for their finals!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick