The Host (Movie) Review

Description and Picture from IMDB:


The Host (2013) Poster


When an unseen enemy threatens mankind by taking over their bodies and erasing their memories, Melanie will risk everything to protect the people she cares most about, proving that love can conquer all in a dangerous new world.

PG-13
Director: Andrew Niccol
Written by: Stephenie Meyer (Novel), and Andrew Niccol (Screenplay)
Cast: Saoirse Ronan, Max Irons, Jake Abel, and Diane Kruger

My Review:
So it's been quite a few years since I read The Host! In fact, I read it shortly after reading the entire Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer back in mid 2008.  And honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of this book.  I found The Host book SOOOOO long!, slow, and confusing up until a certain point. 
I remember it taking almost 300 pages before I had any idea what was going on, because Meyer was using these made-up words in this world she created.  

Here's the thing though about the book...it ended awesome!!  It got really good at the end!  It took almost 400 dang pages before it did, but those last 200 were great!  But here's the other thing...Stephenie ended it on a hook!  It's been FIVE years, and Meyer FINALLY just confirmed in February that she is FINALLY working on the sequel!!! Here's the article!

ANYWAY, now to the movie!  I really must say this is one of those few times when I actually enjoyed the movie adaptation MORE than the book!  Not kidding!  The movie turned a 300 pages of boring nothingness+100 pages of romance+200 pages of action into 2 hours of full-throttle story line, with no boring parts, plenty of romance, and a very overall unique storyline!

I definitely enjoyed this movie!  I definitely recommend it to fans of the book, and even those who haven't read the book!  Saoirse Ronan (Melanie/Wanderer) did a great job in the role!  She was able to do two different accents! Max Irons (Jared) was super cute!  Diane Kruger was a serious B*&^h! Awesome!

Overall rating:

I will most likely not buy it as soon as it is released on DVD, just because it is a great film, but not one I need to see all the time.  I will most likely end up getting it when its on sale or something.  I will definitely recommend it! It was worth seeing, and honestly better than the book in my opinion! :)

Thanks Everyone! :)

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. Yay that she's writing a sequel! And also that you liked the movie. I need to reread it but it keeps getting pushed father down my book pile :(.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also read this book shortly after finishing the Twilight series, and I did enjoy it and loved the ending. I didn't reread it before I saw the movie in case I didn't enjoy the movie as much, but it was also really good as well. I liked everybody in there parts and the movie went by really quick. I am looking forward to the next two books :-)

    Vyki @ On The Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good review. This is poorly acted, the story is a sloppy mess, the characters are boring, the romance feels completely out of place, the special effects suck and worst of all, nothing happens in it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick