What Really Happened in Peru (The Bane Chronicles #1) by Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan

Hey Everyone!

As some of you may know, I'm a huge fan of Cassandra Clare's books!  So last year when I got to meet Cassie, along with Maureen Johnson and Sarah Rees Brennan, I was stoked on life to find out she had co-authored with both Maureen and Sarah and written a novella series, in the world of both The Mortal Instrument and Infernal Devices series!

Well, a year later, I've FINALLY come around to reading the first book in The Bane Chronicles, entitled, What Really Happened in Peru!

What Really Happened in Peru was written by both Cassandra Clare and Sarah Rees Brennan!

From Goodreads:



Fans of The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices know that Magnus Bane is banned from Peru—and now they can find out why. One of ten adventures in The Bane Chronicles.

There are good reasons Peru is off-limits to Magnus Bane. Follow Magnus’s Peruvian escapades as he drags his fellow warlocks Ragnor Fell and Catarina Loss into trouble, learns several instruments (which he plays shockingly), dances (which he does shockingly), and disgraces his host nation by doing something unspeakable to the Nazca Lines.

This standalone e-only short story illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality populates the pages of the #1 New York Times bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices series. This story in The Bane Chronicles, What Really Happened in Peru, is written by Sarah Rees Brennan and Cassandra Clare.

My Thoughts:

So I'm always curious, when it comes to books that are co-authored, how much of the writing was done by whom?  I'm curious if Sarah actually wrote this story, but since it's in the world of Cassie's novels, that Cassie is the co-author because she came up with the overall concept in her past books?  It's been almost a year since I read Cassie's last novel, Clockwork Princess, so I may be mistaken, but I did feel that the writing style was slightly different from her Mortal Instrument and Infernal Devices series.  I'm not saying in a bad way, but in a way that possible it may have been written by someone else.  I don't know though for sure!


Anyway, Magnus!  Pretty much all fans of both Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices love Magnus!  He's not only an awesome warlock, but also such a unique character that you don't get in a lot of writing!

I truly enjoyed this one, of course, it being set in the world of Cassandra Clare's imagination and all.  The characters had hysterical dialogue, it was fun reading more on Magnus, since we only get tiny snid-bits throughout Cassie's other series.

I read it in one sitting, it took me not even an hour!

Overall rating...

Why Four, not Five Bookies? you may be asking?  Well, to be honest the ending was slightly disappointing...almost a cop out in my opinion.  But it still had a great concept, was set in a world I love to live in, and had one of my favorite characters from two of my favorite series! :)

I'd definitely recommend checking it out if you're a fan of the Mortal Instruments and/or Infernal Devices Series!  While short (only about 65 pages), they are fairly affordable on Amazon and Barnes and Noble ($2.99), which isn't too bad for a book, even a novella, by a World-Wide Best Selling Author!

Have a great day everyone!! :)

The Romance Bookie :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick