Event Recap: Pasadena Loves Ya! (5/23/15)


Hey Everyone!! I did something really awesome last weekend!!! I got to go the Pasadena Loves YA Teen Book Festival! :)

It was so much fun!! So many books, free and bought!! And I got to meet so many authors including one of my absolute favorite authors, Kody Keplinger!!!! :)


It started with a bang already!

We walked into the Pasadena Public Library and right there in the main hall was none other than KODY KEPLINGER herself!!!

I walked up to her and two other guests, who I soon found out were Alexis Bass (author of Love and Other Theories) and Virginia Boecker (author of the upcoming The Witch Hunter)!

I told her who she was, and she was so nice and right away was like, "Mandy!!!  It's so great to finally meet you!"

It was so cool!!

After saying our goodbyes for now, we started exploring the library.  It was truly beautiful!  Four stories of lovely lovely books!

In the auditorium, they had carts and carts of books, which early guests were given an awesome tote bag and were allowed to pick TWO ARCs from!!!! :)

I ended up picking...


Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between by Jennifer E. Smith (Out in September!!!) :) (LOVE Jennifer's books!)



And then the friend I went with gave me one of her ARCs...


Tonight the Streets are Ours by Leila Sales (Out in September!) This one looks really cute!

Before the event also started I hit the bookstore, because there were a few books I wanted to pick up!


I picked up:
A finished copy of Lying Out Loud by Kody Keplinger

I've already read Lying Out Loud and Second Chance Summer, but I really wanted to complete both of my signed collections from both authors :). Yes I am that obsessed with books!

Then it was time for the event to start!

Up first were the introductions by the fabulous Mary McCoy, author of Dead to Me!


Mary seemed very down-to-earth!  She did a great job on the introductions!

After Mary's introductions, it was time to go to fourth level to see Second Chances Panel, which included Morgan Matson, Brandy Colbert, Lauren Miller, and Sarah Tromp.


Morgan Matson at the signing table

Morgan signing my copy of "Second Chance Summer"

Me and Morgan

Brandy Colbert
It was so much fun seeing Morgan again! We met a few weeks ago at the Festival of Books at USC! :)





While the ladies were speaking Julie Berry (author of The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place) was sitting at the table next to us, so I snuck a photo!


Then it was off to head back downstairs for the second panel of the day, and the one I had really come for...except trust me when I say there turned out to be many many other reasons why I came! :)

This second panel featured the fabulous Kody Keplinger (!!!!!), Alexis Bass (Love and Other Theories), Virginia Boecker (Witch Hunter), and Victoria Aveyard (Red Queen)!

From Left to Right: Victoria Aveyard, Alexis Bass, Virginia Boecker, and Kody Keplinger

Me and Victoria Aveyard (Red Queen)

Kody was so busy signing, that we weren't really able to get a picture with her, but this is the closest I got to one


Here is my signed loot from that signing:



The DUFF is also signed by Robbie Amell, Bianca Santos, and Nick Everman from The DUFF movie! :)




I was so unbelievably happy to get finally get my copy of The DUFF signed!! One of my favorite books!

After that panel, it was time to run back upstairs to the fourth floor for Jessica Brody (the Unremembered Trilogy), Romina Russell (Zodiac), Kiersten White (Illusions of Fate), and Livia Blackburne (Midnight Thief)

Romina Russell had her table all set up with Astrological signs! :) (I'm a cancer, so I grabbed one of those and got it signed along with my Zodiac copy! :)

Me and Romina Russell 

Jessica Brody

Jessica Brody and me

My signed copy of Zodiac, signed "To Mandy of House Cancer, you're the Protagonist! Loved meeting you! Trust yourself! XOXOXO Romina Russell House Virgo"

I had Kirsten sign her short story featured in Dear Bully: Seventy Authors Tell Their Stories, an Anthology

Signed "To Mandy, Love Unforgettably, Jessica Brody"

Signed "To Mandy- Live Richly, Jessica Brody"
During that signing, the next panel was doing their conversation on the same floor.  That panel featured: Katie Alender (Famous Last Words), Julie Berry (The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place), Mary McCoy (Dead to Me), and Alexandra Monir (Timeless)

Alexandra Monir and me

Signed: "So nice to meet you! I hope you enjoy Timeless!"

I have had Timeless sitting on my shelf for YEARS! No joke! It's really sad! But there are just SOOOOOOOOOO many books out there, it's difficult even to get to some of the good looking ones too! ;(

Then it was time for the last panel, featuring: Stephen Chbosky (Perks of Being a Wallflower), his wife and author, Liz Maccie, (who were SOOOOOOO CUTE TOGETHER!!!!), (Lessons I Never Learned at Meadowbrook Academy), Ava Dellaira (Love Letters to the Dead), and Jennifer Niven (All the Bright Places)!


Stephen Chbosky and his wife Liz Maccie

Ava Dellaira

Jennifer Niven signing my Kindle

Her novel All the Bright Places , looks SOOOOO good!! Sadly they were all sold out of copies when I went to back to the store to pick up hers and Ava Dellaira's!

Liz Maccie

Stephen Chbosky signing my copy of Perks of Being a Wallflower

Stephen Chbosky and me

Ava Delairra signing my copy of Love Letters to the Dead

Me and Ava Dellaira

Jennifer Niven ended up signing a Post-It pad she was giving away, which she signed "Mandy-Thank you for being one of my bright places! Jennifer Niven")

From Ava Dellaria: "Dear Mandy, It's such an honor and a delight to meet you! Thank you so much for being a reader and for being an awesome person! Yours, Ava Dellaira"


Liz Maccie signed "Mandy-Wishing you great friends and grand adventures- always-Liz"
Liz Maccie was so kind and amazing! Both her and Stephen (her husband!)!  She seriously GAVE me a copy of her book!!! She just asked "Do you want a copy of my book?"!!!!!!  How awesome and amazing is that?!

So here's my final haul from the Festival!  I left home with only the stack on the far right, and came home with the other two left stacks plus my originals!  And all the swag!!!!

So much fun!!

I also finally covered my entire Kindle Cover!!


Doesn't it look gorgeous??!!

Sadly I am not able to identify some of the signatures anymore, but these are the ones I know are on there for sure:

1.  Tahareh Mafi (Shatter Me) (she was also the first to sign it!)
2. Ransom Riggs (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children) (Tahareh's husband!  He signed on the flap that closes the Kindle)
3.  Lemony Snicket (aka Danial Handler, author of A Series of Unfortunate Events)
4. John Green (Fault in Our Stars)
5. Jessica Brody (Unremembered Trilogy)
6. Kody Keplinger (The DUFF)
7.  Jason Segel (yes, the actor, but also author of Nightmares!)
8.  Robin Benway (Also Known As Series)
9.  Marissa Meyer (Lunar Chronicles)
10.  Stephen Chbosky (Perks of Being a Wallflower, I ran out of room, so he signed on the inside)
11.  Liz Maccie (Lessons I learned at Meadowbrooke Academy)
12.  Jennifer Niven (All the Bright Places)
13.  Ann Brashares (Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants)
14. Margaret Stohl (Coauthor of Beautiful Creatures)
15.  Laini Taylor (Daughter of Smoke and Bone)
16. Laurie Halse Anderson (Speak)
17.  Amy Hatvany (Heart Like Mine)
18.  Melissa de La Cruz (Blue Bloods Series)
19.  Maggie Stiefvater (Shiver Trilogy and The Raven Boys)
20.  Tessa Gratton (The Lost Sun)
21.  Brenna Yovanoff (Paper Valentine)
22.  Jessi Kirby (In Honor)
23.  Gayle Forman (If I Stay)
24.  Morgan Matson (Amy and Roger's Epic Detour and Since You've Been Gone)
25.  Brandy Colbert (Point)
26.  Mary McCoy (Dead to Me)
27.  Victoria Aveyard (Red Queen)
28.  Alexis Bass (Love and Other Theories)
29.  Virginia Boecker (Witch Hunters)
30.  Livia Blackburne (Midnight Thief)
31.  Romina Russell (Zodiac)
32.  Alexandra Monir (Timeless)
33. Ava Dellaira (Love Letters to the Dead)


Those are of the ones I remember! There might be a few more in there!


Time to get a new case and frame that one I guess! :)
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!! :)

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick