Feyland: The Dark Realm

Since I am always writing these LOOOONNNNG entries, I am going to try to make this one short :)

My review for Feyland: The Dark Realm by Anthea Sharp:
 
So I received Feyland: The Dark Realm from Anthea, herself, a few weeks ago.  I LOVE getting requests to read certain books, especially if they are Young Adult, so I couldn't refuse.

Overall, it took me a while to read Feyland, BUT that's only because I had to read it on my computer (the back-lit screen gives me a headache after reading a while). Otherwise, this book was AWESOME!

It actually really surprised me! When I had read the summary I was a bit worried....

From Goodreads:


WHEN A GAME…

Feyland is the most immersive computer game ever designed, and Jennet Carter is the first to play the prototype. But she doesn’t suspect the virtual world is close enough to touch — or that she’ll be battling for her life against the Dark Queen of the faeries.

TURNS REAL…

Tam Linn is the perfect hero — in-game. Too bad the rest of his life is seriously flawed. The last thing he needs is rich-girl Jennet prying into his secrets, insisting he’s the only one who can help her.

WINNING IS EVERYTHING…

Together, Jennet and Tam enter the Dark Realm of Feyland, only to discover that the entire human world is in danger. Pushed to the limit of their abilities, they must defeat the Dark Queen… before it’s too late. 


After having read this, I was worried that this story sounded like a Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over deal, minus the Spys.  In the end, I realized that I had been worrying about nothing.  This book is NOTHING like Spy Kids 3-D!!!


The adventure and futuristic/historical/fairytale aspects of this novel were really awesome.  Jennet and Tam are from a more futuristic world of computer tablets (these are owned by EVERYONE), e-books (no more paper books ;(), and having a computer chip placed into your skin to keep track of you (in Jennet's case, because of her privileged up-bringing).  

That is before Jennet transports Tam into the gaming world of Feyland, a new computer game (that takes gaming to a WHOLE new level).  Filled with faeries, evil Queens, knights, and much more, Feyland almost sounds like  an awesome place to hang out right? 

WRONG!! It's scary! Like in the way where you are LITERALLY fighting for your life, scary!


Will they both survive, or will one of them lose, OR maybe even both lose?? What will it be??


Well, to find out, you'll just have to pick up your very own copy of Feyland: The Dark Realm either through Barnes and Noble (where you'll find as an e-book) or on Amazon (where you'll find it in both e-book AND paperback!).  Until this Friday only, the e-book is ON SALE for only 99 CENTS!!! So it's a perfect time to download :).

I do have ONE TINY complaint about the story.  It wasn't a huge deal, but the choice of words sort of bothered me.  One of the side characters, named Marny, (Tam's friend), is described at the "big girl"; which I think is perfectly fine as a choice of words to use to describe the character when first introducing her.  However, the author chose to use this description every time Marny came into the story again.  I didn't really think that was necessary.  That's just my opinion though.


You can check out Anthea Sharp's website: http://antheasharp.com/# where you can also find out more information about Feyland and Anthea Sharp's future projects.


This is also the first week I've added an AGE RATING in the tags.  Feyland: The Dark Realm I think is more for ages 12 and up, because of some scary elements in the story.


So I hope you all get a chance to pick up Feyland: The Dark Realm if this storyline interests you.  I definitely think if you like playing video games, then you'll enjoy this book, because of the details of the game.  However, I am not a huge gamer myself...actually I rarely play, only when my little brother asks me once in a while to play on his Playstation; and I still enjoyed Feyland.

Overall rating:
 


Have a great week!


The Romance Bookie :)
 PS: SOOORRRYY, that whole short entry thing completely failed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick