In Need of Therapy by Tracie Banister

Over the past few months I have been getting A LOT of review requests!  Since July I've added probably about ten to fifteen books that I promised an author or publisher to read...and those are the ones I accepted! 

I believe back in July, or even the of June, I was contacted during the time I was on my 21st birthday Vegas trip.  I got a very nice email from an author asking me to read her latest novel called, In Need of Therapy

Now, before I continue, let me be honest here...(not that I'm not honest on here!! I swear I am!!), the title scared me just a little bit.  From it I actually sort of interpreted it was going to be one of non-fiction books about psychotherapy.  Not that there is anything wrong with Psychotherapy or psychology! It's just that normally I am not a huge fan of non-fiction books...why?  Well, I believe I have mentioned this before, but the reason I read is to escape; I like to get out of this world sometime and into someone made up world.

But anyway, I AM SO Glad I gave In Need of Therapy a chance!! This book was NOTHING like I expected! It was just my kind of read...chick lit, funny, contemporary romance, did I mention hilarious??...it was just...oh wait, maybe I should tell you what it's about first, right??


In Need of Therapy
:)
Here's the Goodreads description:
Lending a sympathetic ear and dispensing sage words of advice is all part of the job for psychologist Pilar Alvarez, and she’s everything a good therapist should be: warm, compassionate, supportive. She listens, she cares, and she has all the answers, but how’s the woman everyone turns to in their hour of need supposed to cope when her own life starts to fall apart?

While working hard to make a success of her recently-opened practice in trendy South Beach, Pilar must also find time to cater to the demands of her boisterous Cuban family, which includes younger sister Izzy, an unemployed, navel-pierced wild child who can't stay out of trouble, and their mother, a beauty queen turned drama queen who’s equally obsessed with her fading looks and getting Pilar married before it’s “too late.” Although she’d like to oblige her mother and make a permanent love connection, Pilar’s romantic prospects look grim. Her cheating ex, who swears that he’s reformed, is stalking her. A hunky, but strictly off-limits, patient with bad-boy appeal and intimacy issues is making passes. And the sexy shrink in the suite across the hall has a gold band on his left ring finger.

When a series of personal and professional disasters lead Pilar into the arms of one of her unsuitable suitors, she's left shaken, confused, and full of self-doubt. With time running out, she must make sense of her feelings and learn to trust herself again so that she can save her business, her family, and most importantly, her heart.

Anyway, back to my thoughts:

As you may have obtained from my comments above, :), I loved this book! It was just what I needed to get me out of a week of poli-sci homework!  Loved it!
I highly recommend this one to any chick-lit lover! Super cute one, I promise! I loved the fact that Pilar was a therapist, just because of all the analyzing humor she did.  At one point she went on a date with this super obnoxious body-builder guy, who OMG I wanted to kick his face!  This guy was such a jackass!  He kept making absolutely rude comments to Pilar about her eating choices, and telling her how much fat she was eating, and how she should really think about losing fifteen pounds AND THEN AFTERWARDS getting a personal trainer! You know what I would have done? I would taken that WHITE ROLL, because this guy had a racist thing going on with white food!!, and eaten that damn thing! AND ENJOYED IT!! And then afterwards I would been like, "Okay, while I enjoyed this tasteless food that you have ordered for me...NOT, I've got to get going and get myself a BIG FAT JUICY hamburger with a nice order of fries!!" haha Just kidding, but seriously, that guy was a complete jerk! I just loved Pilar's reaction to him, and how she realized immediately that this guy was not for her!

Pilar's mother, WOW!, as a mother she would drive me insane! But definitely a super entertaining person! Her sister, Izzy, while a pain in the ass, I definitely didn't blame her sometimes on her wanting to rebel against her parents, however, she definitely was a spoiled little brat!  

And Oh God, how can I forget!! Ford!! OMG FORD!! What a hottie!! Dark hair, blue eyes! YES!! My type of guy right there!! I imagined a middle aged Zac Efron...:), McDreamy 2.0!

So if you're interested in reading In Need of Therapy, then you can either buy it on Amazon and Barnes and Noble for only $1.99!!

:)

Definitely read it! :)

The Romance Bookie :) 

Comments

  1. I couldn't agree more! I loved this book and gave it 5 star. I realise it's bad that I can't remember who Zac Efron is but I do know he's pretty young and supposed to be hot! I loved Ford too but had him considerably older, but hot, sweet and dependable. Wanted to kick Izzy for being a selfish bitch a lot of the time and yes, Luisa, Pilar's mother, totally cracked me up. She was such a primadonna! Great review, Sooz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, Zac is in his mid-twenties, but I wasn't necessarily imagining Zac, I was imagining a middle aged version of him :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick