Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski (ARC)

And it's Tuesday! :)

I can't believe this is the fourth day in a row that I have a post to post!!  WOW, a new record...at least for the past year! ;)

Anyway, I finished Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski yesterday!!

From Goodreads:


Contemporary teen fiction with romance, secrets, scandals, and ESP from the author of Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have).

We weren't always like this. We used to be average New York City high school sophomores. Until our homeroom went for flu shots. We were prepared for some side effects. Maybe a headache. Maybe a sore arm. We definitely didn't expect to get telepathic powers. But suddenly we could hear what everyone was thinking. Our friends. Our parents. Our crushes. Now we all know that Tess is in love with her best friend, Teddy. That Mackenzie cheated on Cooper. That, um, Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper.

Since we've kept our freakish skill a secret, we can sit next to the class brainiac and ace our tests. We can dump our boyfriends right before they dump us. We know what our friends really think of our jeans, our breath, our new bangs. We always know what's coming. Some of us will thrive. Some of us will crack. None of us will ever be the same.

So stop obsessing about your ex. We're always listening.

My Thoughts:

Wow, this was a hilarious one! But if I remember correctly I felt the exact same way about Sarah's Ten Things We Did, that We Probably Shouldn't Have!

What I found the most interesting, and to be honest, what I was the most skeptical about at the beginning, was the first person point of view when talking about "we".  This book is about each and every single character that has the ESP (telepathy) in the book.

While at first I was skeptical, I ended up really loving it, because it did make this book very unique!

What I loved probably the most was hearing the thoughts! OMG I laughed out loud multiple times, that I even ended up writing down a few of them.  For instance, when they find out their nurse, Nurse Carmichael used to be a stripper...CLASSIC!  Or Mackenzie's first night, hearing her what her parent's are thinking in the next room...EWWW but also hilarious!  Rayna (who actually isn't mentioned all that often throughout the book) finds out her first evening of having the ESP that she was born with a sixth finger and that her parents just have never told her (they removed it as soon as she was born).  Pi hearing her teacher's thought, "Peanut butter and pickle sandwich" for dinner?  YUCK!  The twin's (Daniel and Dave's) thoughts when they have to wrestle each other ("You're ugly") LOL.

Just so many great hilarious moments in this book!

The characters were all good!  I did get annoyed with Mackenzie a lot of the times, because she really did like to do self-sabotaging on herself.  Cooper I felt extremely sorry for, especially since he was just this happy-go-lucky guy before the whole ESP happened.  Pi, I will admit I wanted to punch her in the face multiple times.  Tess, I will admit while I found it annoying, I get why Tess was mad at the girl, the guy she had a huge crush on was into.  I've been there, unfortunately.  Jealously does weird things to you!

I did like the struggles they all went through with their frustration of having to constantly listen to everyone around them, especially those that had it too, because they all knew their secrets weren't safe anymore.  But then at the same time realizing what a gift it was.

It's funny, because about a week ago, before I started reading this one, my boyfriend and I were talking about "If you could have any super power in the world, what would it be and why?" and I had actually answered "mind reading, because I would love to know what people actually thought of each other."  After reading this book, I quickly mended it, I would like to be the only one that can read other's minds, and I want to be able to shut it off whenever I want LOL.

Overall rating:

Any book that can make me laugh more than once (and not from being terrible), deserves a Five bookie rating in my opinion!  I would definitely recommend this one, to YA readers!  It's got the realistic feel, because it's teenagers going through teenage things and problems, then it's got the paranormal aspect with the ESP.  Plus the hilarity!  Definitely check it out if you get a chance!

You can get your copy either at AmazonBarnes and Noble, or wherever else books are sold! :)

Have a great week everyone!

The Romance Bookie :) 

Comments

  1. Sounds like a fun one. Don't know what I think about the "we" perception though. I'd be afraid it would be confusing or worse, annoying. What is that called, first people? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked this book! I have an ARC from NetGalley so now it's just moved higher up on my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A year later, I'm just now starting this book lol. I remembered you had reviewed it :).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick