Guest Review by Erin! Salvage by Alexandra Duncan

Hey Everyone!

Here's another review from Erin!! :)

From Goodreads:

Salvage is a thrilling, surprising, and thought-provoking debut novel that will appeal to fans of Across the Universe, by Beth Revis, and The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. This is literary science fiction with a feminist twist, and it explores themes of choice, agency, rebellion, and family. 

Ava, a teenage girl living aboard the male-dominated, conservative deep space merchant ship Parastrata, faces betrayal, banishment, and death. Taking her fate into her own hands, she flees to the Gyre, a floating continent of garbage and scrap in the Pacific Ocean. 

This is a sweeping and harrowing novel about a girl who can't read or write or even withstand the forces of gravity. What choices will she make? How will she build a future on an earth ravaged by climate change? 

Named by the American Booksellers Association as a Spring 2014 Indies Introduce Pick.


Erin's Thoughts:

Salvage was great!! The world building is so rich and well done that it really feels like you're in a different place, but there are bits of elements that are similar so that it's not entirely unfamiliar! I would definitely recommend this to people and it was just such a fun and unique read.  I love the language that Duncan used! It was, of course, English, but the way she'd structure her sentences and use certain works was really awesome!! It's hard to explain, but hopefully you'll understand what I mean if/when you read it! :D

My absolute favorite part of the book had to be the transformation of Ava! She starts out as such a meek and submissive girl (though she has a tiny hint of rebellion that you'll see) but then as the book progresses, you can definitely see the change she's going through as a character and how much more confident and starts trusting in herself more. Haha, that sounded kind cheesy, but it's really how I feel about this book!! That being said, I would say that this is more of a character based book, so there's not a ton of action going on (there's some!), which doesn't really bother me, but it might for others!

The only thing I would have to say is that there is this one section where Ava ends up in school, which I thought was a bit odd and I'm not sure if it's going to come up again, but it was pretty brief in the book, so we'll see what happens in the next book!!

Overall rating:


Well, four and a half! Like I said, the school part seemed a little odd to me and some of the other scenes seems sort of abrupt, but nevertheless I enjoyed reading this book and I can't wait to read the sequel!! By the way, I just have to mention that the cover is so awesome!! I know, don't judge books by their covers, but for this one, I would definitely say that book lives up to the cover or vice versa! 

Erin @ The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick