Happenstance (Happenstance #1) by Jamie McGuire (Novella)

Happy Mother's Day to all the fabulous Mother's out there in the world!! I know my brother and I are trying everything today to spoil our mom! :)

I've been a fan of Jamie McGuire's since I read Beautiful Disaster in October of 2011, when it was actually still a self-published novel!  I just absolutely devoured that book!!

So when I found out Jamie McGuire was publishing a new novella series, in the contemporary world, I knew I had to read it!

Happenstance by Jamie McGuire is the first of three in this new novella series, which hit online stores Friday (May 9th, 2014)!

From Goodreads:

Such a gorgeous cover!

#1 New York Times Bestseller Jamie McGuire returns to self-publishing with this page-turning YA account of Erin Easter, one of three Erins in the small senior class of rural Blackwell High School who not only share a first name, but also their birthday. Erin Easter, raised by a neglectful single mom, keeps to herself and admires Weston Gates from afar. The other Erins, Erin A. and Erin M. are the darlings of the community: daughters of the two wealthiest families in town, best friends, cheerleaders, and everything Erin Easter isn't--and they never let her forget it. Erin A. has even claimed Weston since the 8th grade.

Weston is a well-liked star athlete, and the son of two prominent attorneys. He struggles daily with the pressures of living up to his family name and secretly empathizes with Erin Easter's feeling that she belongs somewhere else; in a different life. Not until he begins sneaking nights out with Erin does he gain the courage to buck expectations and acknowledge his feelings ... both for his future, and for her.

But when a shocking tragedy rocks the tiny town, Erin's life is turned upside down in the best way possible. But when the truth is revealed and everything Erin thinks she wanted falls into her lap, life only becomes more complicated.

My Thoughts:

Happenstance was definitely a book about...Happenstance!  It pretty much was an extreme case of Karma being delivered all around.  While I'm NOT saying anyone deserves what both mean Erin's got at the end of the novella, it still somewhat felt...satisfying...no definitely not the right word...I don't know really, how to explain it.  I think that was really my problem here.  I didn't know what to think!  Erin Easter, who, pretty much got the short end of the stick, goes from having absolutely nothing...but the future of going away to college to look forward to, to having a whole new life.  EVERYTHING falls into place.

Which to be honest, may have thrown me off just a little bit, because really? Whose life goes from complete crap to absolutely perfect in less than a week?

But then again, that's why the novella is called Happenstance, I guess. Everything happens for a reason, if you happen to be at the right place and time.

I loved Jamie's writing, as always.  She uses great descriptions, has great characters that evolve as the story goes on.  And I did like the overall premise of the story.  However, the ending did leave me with questions...which Jamie promised us wouldn't happen, when she promoted it on Facebook.  She wrote "No cliffhanger!", which yes, it did have an ending, but I was still left with questions!!

For instance, "Which school will Weston decide to go to? And how will his parents react?", also "Will Erin Easter ever speak to the woman who "raised" her again?", "Did Erin Adlermann know about Erin Easter, and is that why she was so mean to her?"

I'm guessing these will be answered in the upcoming novellas in the series, which haven't been given titles yet.  Hopefully soon!!!!!  

I'm definitely looking forward to knowing what happens! :)

Overall review:



Other than my unanswered questions, I truly enjoyed this one!  I didn't know it was the first in the series, when I bought it Friday morning, so I guess now I just have to wait... ;(.  But once again Jamie McGuire has written a novel, or novella, that will have readers wanting more and more!

I did forget to mention a very HUGE added bonus that comes with buying this $2.99 novella...there is a sneak peak of Jamie's upcoming Beautiful Oblivion!!!!!!!!! Which hits stores July 1st! A day before my 23rd birthday!!!!


So to get your own copy of Happenstance you can get it at AmazoniTunesSmashwords, or Barnes and Noble!

Happy Mother's Day Everyone! :)

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick