Guest Review from Erin: Defy (Defy #1) by Sara B. Larson

WooHoo!!! Defy was a book that I had been checking out a lot every time I went to the bookstore.  It caught my eye from the very first time I saw it and when I read the synopsis, it sounded right up my alley.  But despite this, for some reason, I kept putting off reading it.  I have no idea why??!! But I'm glad to say that I finally did read it and had a blast!!

From Goodreads:



Alexa Hollen is a fighter. Forced to disguise herself as a boy and serve in the king's army, Alex uses her quick wit and fierce sword-fighting skills to earn a spot on the elite prince's guard. But when a powerful sorcerer sneaks into the palace in the dead of night, even Alex, who is virtually unbeatable, can't prevent him from abducting her, her fellow guard and friend Rylan, and Prince Damian, taking them through the treacherous wilds of the jungle and deep into enemy territory.

The longer Alex is held captive with both Rylan and the prince, the more she realizes that she is not the only one who has been keeping dangerous secrets. And suddenly, after her own secret is revealed, Alex finds herself confronted with two men vying for her heart: the safe and steady Rylan, who has always cared for her, and the dark, intriguing Damian. With hidden foes lurking around every corner, is Alex strong enough to save herself and the kingdom she's sworn to protect?

Erin's Review:

Wow!! Why did I wait so long to read this?  Why was I so hesitant?? I mean, I LOVE stories about girls having to pretend their boys, you know, like Mulan (Seriously one of my favorite Disney movies, not to mention HILARIOUS!) !!! So I really can't figure out why I didn't read this sooner!! I love the cover and I love the story!!

The interactions between Alexa and Damian were so awesome!! I especially loved them during the beginning when they did not know each other well.  I don't know exactly know what it is, but it so reminded me of Jane Eyre and Mr. Rochester.  Maybe it was because Alexa would call Damian sir, or Your Highness, but it immediately made me think of Jane Eyre.  It also may have been due to the fact that I did read Defy not too long after I read Jane Eyre, but still! So needless to say, I loved it!

As you'll probably be able to tell from the synopsis, there is a love triangle involved in the book.  Personally, I don't mind love triangles and I think they're fun, but if you're sick and tired of them, you might want to skip this one for a bit.

Something that I found a bit odd was the setting of the story.  It's a high fantasy novel, but it's placed in a jungle.  It's unusual and I found myself not able to really imagine the place very well.  It just didn't stick with me. It didn't bug me that much, but I never got a good grasp of the world because of it.

DO NOT READ AHEAD IF YOU DO NOT WANT A SPOILER!!!!!!!!

***Mild Spoiler Alert*** 
(Look! My first Spoiler alert!)

One thing I was a bit disappointed by was that Rylan and Damian both knew that Alexa was a girl and for a long time too.  I was totally okay with Rylan knowing, because I really love how Rylan found out (it's awesome!!), but I wanted for Damian to be surprised and shocked.  Drama queen that I am, I really wanted Damian to feel betrayed and hurt by this revelation (haha, kind of like in Mulan, I guess...).  It's not the biggest deal because I really do like how it was handled, but I wanted someone to be completely horrified by Alexa being a girl.

***End Mild Spoiler***

Overall rating:


Four and a half bookies, actually! *SIGH* I just love high fantasy and this one was great one to read.  Very energetic and lots of action going on!  I had such a fun time reading this one.  Even though it's high fantasy, I think a lot of people who are maybe unsure about the genre would have a great time with this one: it reads very well and it's not intimidating like Game of Thrones or anything.  I'm super super excited for the sequel, Ignite, and I can't wait to read it!! Plus, the cover of Ignite is beeeeauuutiful!! I think I might like it even more than Defy!

Well thanks again, guys, for reading!!!

Erin @The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick