Sunday, December 14, 2014

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Hey Everyone!!

I am SOOO Close to my yearly goal of reading 50 books, that this is so happening this year!!!! ONE MORE TO GO!!!

Anyway, this time around I read The Geography of You and Me by one of my favorite authors, Jennifer E. Smith!

From Goodreads:


Lucy and Owen meet somewhere between the tenth and eleventh floors of a New York City apartment building, on an elevator rendered useless by a citywide blackout. After they're rescued, they spend a single night together, wandering the darkened streets and marveling at the rare appearance of stars above Manhattan. But once the power is restored, so is reality. Lucy soon moves to Edinburgh with her parents, while Owen heads out west with his father.

Lucy and Owen's relationship plays out across the globe as they stay in touch through postcards, occasional e-mails, and -- finally -- a reunion in the city where they first met.

A carefully charted map of a long-distance relationship, Jennifer E. Smith's new novel shows that the center of the world isn't necessarily a place. It can be a person, too.

My Thoughts:

Jennifer E. Smith has done it again!

I mean, seriously! This woman knows young adult!  If I were to recommend her to others, I would recommend her to fans of Gayle Forman, Stephanie Perkins, and Sarah Dessen.  She has that realistic feel to her writing, that many young adults haven't gotten down...but boy, has Jennifer gotten it down!

Lucy and Owen were two great characters!  They definitely had the chemistry!

I love the idea of staying in touch, with a special someone, through postcards.  It is such a romantic gesture, I think, but at the same time, I know I would never ever have the patience to do so.  Waiting...waiting weeks on end to possibly receive a postcard.  And in reality, we all know we can't actually write our true feelings on that card, because the postmen who do the delivering process will only have read what you have written.  But still!! So cute!! Especially what Owen and Lucy were writing to each other... "I wish you were here...", because of their conversation on the roof top, during the blackout.

It was so cute!!

My only complaint would have to be at some points it felt a tiny bit rushed to me.  For instance the chapter would end, and then skip two chapters (because it alternates in Point of Views, something I loved!) and all of a sudden Owen would be in a different location, and you would get a slight description of what happened to the recent location.  Which, okay, to be fair, was Jennifer moving the story along, but I think I would have liked more background, even though, I know, the focus was mainly on Owen and Lucy's relationship.

Overall rating:

I really liked this one!! I always look forward to Jennifer E. Smith's new releases, so after reading this one, I know that excitement will continue!! :)  Can't wait to see what she has in store for us next!

Mandy @The Romance Bookie :)

2 comments:

  1. This is one of those books that I've been meaning to read for a really long time. I'm now more motivated than ever to pick it up!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd agree with your rating on this one. I think I got an invite from NG to download it a while back and I was super excited :).

    ReplyDelete