When Lightning Strikes by Meg Cabot

As I have mentioned MANY times before, I am a HUGE HUGE HUGEEEEEEE Meg Cabot fan!! I have read almost every thing by her, except her older stuff (where she went under the name Patricia Cabot).  However, there is this one series by her, that I never got around to reading for some reason.  I've had the first book sitting on my shelf for about two or three years now, and I bought the 2-5 books over the past couple of months (because I knew I was going to just love them ;)).  SOOOO FINALLY, the other day, I was like...well, I NEED to read this book! I haven't read a Meg book since Overbite came out in July, and I just felt like "Oh God, MEG CABOT WITHDRAWALS!!!!!"

So anyway, I have FINALLY read When Lightning Strikes (the first books in Meg Cabot's 1-800-Where-Are-You Series).  Like all of Meg's amazing books, this one had Meg's hilarious humor, quirky characters that I love, and a great story.  It seems like Meg's tackled quite a few different genres (teen, romance, historical, vampire) (ok, they all contain romance, but hey! I'm the Romance Bookie!! I LOVE ROMANCE BOOKS!!), books for all ages, and somehow still kept her familiar writing style in all of them!

When Lightning Strikes is the story of Jesse.  A normal 16 year old teenage girl, just wanting to own a Harley (yes, you read that right!).  While, Jesse, is struggling with some family problems (she has a Schizophrenic brother), she's also dealing with her crush...a crush on a boy she met in DETENTION!!!
However, Jesse's life changes one day as she's walking home after detention, with her best friend, Ruth, and a storm starts.  They both run under the bleachers, and Jesse gets struck by lightning! (Yes, you read that right again!!).  The weird thing, Jesse can't seem to understand is, why does she feel fine??  Well, after going home, having a bowl of cereal, and going to bed, Jesse wakes up the next morning, and realizes something strange is going on.  She knows the exact place where the missing children on the milk carton, she used for her cereal are!!!

After calling 1-800-Where-Are, reporting the locations, Jesse finds out that in fact the children really are at those locations! What is going on???
The government becomes involved and Jesse doesn't know what to do??  Why can't she just have a normal life, while still reporting where to find the missing children??

I really enjoyed this book.  Maybe I'm just biased, because I am such a HUGE fan of Meg Cabot, but you know what...I thought this story was good! I thought it was interesting, it kept me going the entire time, and I loved like I said before the characters.  Meg Cabot's characters are usually always (aside from Mia from The Princess Diaries) very outspoken.  They just say how it is! And I have always loved that!

Overall rating:


I do recommend reading this book! I thought it was interesting, funny, and contained Meg's typical humor that I just love so much!!

I hope everyone has a HAPPY FRIDAY tomorrow!!

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick