Specials by Scott Westerfeld

***WARNING!!! MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS FROM PREVIOUS NOVELS IN THE UGLIES SERIES***


I really hope I don't get any haters for this post...but I want to be honest with you all...I did NOT like Specials (third book in the Uglies series) by Scott Westerfeld.

I started over a month ago, and I was SOOOOO bored during the first 200 pages.  I ended up putting the book down about half way through, because I was so frustrated and read other books in between that time.

Well, the other day, after I finished Wonder Struck by Brian Selznick, I decided it was time to pick it up again and get it over with.

So first here is the description from Goodreads, (which I normally don't like to do, unless I can't do the description justice, but in this case, I just don't want to give this book the time of day, anymore) :
"Special Circumstances":
The words have sent chills down Tally's spine since her days as a repellent, rebellious ugly. Back then Specials were a sinister rumor -- frighteningly beautiful, dangerously strong, breathtakingly fast. Ordinary pretties might live their whole lives without meeting a Special. But Tally's never been ordinary.
And now she's been turned into one of them: a superamped fighting machine, engineered to keep the uglies down and the pretties stupid.
The strength, the speed, and the clarity and focus of her thinking feel better than anything Tally can remember. Most of the time. One tiny corner of her heart still remembers something more.
Still, it's easy to tune that out -- until Tally's offered a chance to stamp out the rebels of the New Smoke permanently. It all comes down to one last choice: listen to that tiny, faint heartbeat, or carry out the mission she's programmed to complete. Either way, Tally's world will never be the same.

First off, let me start by saying I actually liked the first two books in the series.  It hasn't been my favorite series, but I thought it was entertaining...until I read Specials.


Tally has changed SO much throughout the series, first she was an Ugly, (in Uglies), then she was a Pretty (in Pretties), and in this one she was part of the Special Circumstance.  Read the description above, imagine that, plus razor sharp teeth, with points, plus spines that erupt these metal things that can stab you...it's freaky!
That wasn't even what I didn't like about the series, what I hated was Tally!  She was SO awful! And while I know it wasn't her fault, I just couldn't stand reading a book where the main character was in her point of view, and she was such a negative person, talking so hateful about everyone else.  She cut herself to feel things, and thought it was normal.

That was how the first 200 hundred pages were! At least to me they were like that!

The only reason why I gave this book 2 stars on Goodreads, is because the end was good.  But a 350 page book, where the only part I enjoyed was the last 100 pages, just didn't do it for me.

Even though I was so close to putting down the book for good many times, before I finished it, I still wanted to know how Scott Westerfeld was going to end the series (the fourth book Extras I believe is part of the series, but with different main characters).

I liked the ending, but to be honest it wouldn't be the first series I would recommend to anyone.  This series is just...weird!  And while I, myself am weird, like anyone else is too, I just think this series is tooo odd!

So if this book sounds like something you would enjoy, definitely don't let me stop you from reading it!  That is never my intention!

Thanks everyone! :)

 

The Romance Bookie :)












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick