The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren by Wendy Toliver

So summer is officially over, and both work and school has started once again.  I know that these next few months are going to crazy busy, so I really wanted to read a no-brainer easy read.  And that's why I picked up one of Simon and Schuster's Romantic Comedies!

From Goodreads:



Geeky to gorgeous in sixty seconds...

Roxy's about to turn sixteen, but life isn't so sweet. As a band geek, Roxy can barely get the cute guys to notice her, much less go out with her. Then, on her birthday, Roxy is transformed into a siren: seductively beautiful with the power to control all men. She thought sirens were an ancient myth, but suddenly Roxy can get any guy she wants with just a few notes on her flute.
There are only two rules: don't tell anyone about being a siren, and don't fall in love. When she starts dating Zach, the guy everybody's crushing on, Roxy realizes she could get used to this siren thing...but how can she keep herself from falling in love?

My Thoughts:

The Secret Life of a Teenage Siren was extremely cliche, over the top, and just a bit too cheesy for me.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I like cheesy, but when it involves a character who goes from "ugly" to drop dead gorgeous, and abandons her friends because she's all of a sudden popular, I just can't like that protagonist.

The writing was a bit over the top for me too.  I don't like when a character gets every single thing she could want.  I understand it was part of the story, but it just wasn't of interest to me.

Maybe because I'm 23, and this is a story targeted for a much younger audience? I think that's it.  So all in all, I would just recommend it to a younger audience, like possibly between the ages of 13 and 15.

Overall rating:


Like I said above, the main problem with this book is that I'm too old for it, I think.  I would recommend it to a younger audience, like early teens.  This might be just the book for you then! :)

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick