Between the Land and the Sea

A few weeks ago I got a message on my Goodreads account from an up-and-coming author asking me to read two of her books.  I was absolutely thrilled for the opportunity!  It was my first time that an author asked me to read her book!!!

Derrolyn Anderson is the author of a new series released (so far) strictly only on e-books/PDFs on Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

I finished the first in the series, Between the Land and the Sea today.  I've been reading it for the past couple of weeks piece by piece, because unfortunately since I don't have an e-reader yet (I'm hoping for one for Christmas, since my starving college self can't afford one on her own haha), I had to read it through a PDF file on my computer.  The back-lit screen was pretty hard on my eyes (even though I have 20/20 vision), so I was forced to stop once in a while.  I was also reading The Help at the time, as my traveling book, so it was going back and forth between both.  Thank goodness for them both being completely different stories! Because otherwise I would have gotten completely lost!

Between the Land and the Sea is the story of Marina, who for her entire life practically grew up going from place to place with her dad because of his job, and is now forced to live with her aunt and cousin, Cruz in Aptos, California after her father excepts a job helping the people in need in Afghanistan, a place most of us know is not a place for a young teenage girl.

Leaving behind her fashion savvy "aunt" Evie (a woman she grew up with, who spoiled her rotten, buying her many extravagant items of clothing and accessories) and apartment in San Francisco, California, she moves further down the coast to the beach town.  Her Aunt Abbey and Cousin Cruz are wonderful people who are excited to have her stay with them over the next year.  Marina finds herself reluctantly falling in love with the town, and feeling like she has been missing out on her true home all along, with the help of a very cute boy named Ethan.

However, strange things start happening to Marina.  Living so close to the beach she finds herself drawn to the ocean, and almost getting herself killed a couple of times, when she runs across a mythical creature who she finds out has many things to be with her mother, who passed away giving birth to her.  Having nightmares that send her sleep walking down to the water at night, even moving away the furniture from her door that she used to barricade herself, she finds herself waking up with wet feet standing in the sand...

Her friends are highly supportive of her, especially Ethan, who from the beginning seems to worship Marina.

The story and characters were very engaging.  The only complaints I had were that there were too many details about fashion for me in the novel.  Marina's cousin, Cruz, wants to be a fashion designer, and I understood when he talked about all of Marina's clothes, but when Marina was getting dressed in the morning she would describe every single piece of fashion item she put on, from her Versace top, to the Gucci handbag.  It got to be a bit too much for me personally.  And then my only other complaint was that Ethan's character was a bit toooo cheesy for me. It was cute, if it were to actually exist, but he was a bit too unrealistic for me personally, just by the way he clung to Marina.

But otherwise, if you like mythical sea creatures (I don't know if I should give it away...if you haven't already figured it out), romance (which I obviously do ;)), and fashion then this is a great book for you!  Check it out at Barnes and Noble or Amazon, it's only 99 cents!! so really affordable! Derrolyn Anderson puts some great twists and turns in the story that will have you gripping your seat in anticipation!

Overall Rating:


I hope everyone had a great weekend! I can't believe it's already over! Only one more week until I have to go back to school ;(, ugh how the time passes...

Up next...Sisterhood Everlasting...which takes place ten years after the Sisterhood ended in Ann Brashares bestselling Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series!

The Romance Bookie :) 

Oh and I almost forgot some exciting news...as soon as I finish reading the second in Marina's tales called The Moon and the Tide, I will be asking the author, Derrolyn Anderson, some questions about her novels and posting them up for you to see what she answers!! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick