The Runaway Queen (The Bane Chronicles #2) by Cassandra Clare (Co-Authored by Maureen Johnson)

Hey Everyone!

Just another Manic Monday has begun, right?

Well, anyway, I finished the second novella in The Bane Chronicles, The Runaway Queen by Cassandra Clare, and co-authored by Maureen Johnson.

I am a huge Cassandra Clare fan, and have enjoyed a couple of Maureen Johnson's books, but I was excited when I learned they co-authored a novella for this series, and had to of course get it for my Kindle right away.

From Goodreads:



Magnus Bane has a royal role in the French Revolution—if the angry mobs don’t spoil his spells. One of ten adventures in The Bane Chronicles.

While in France, immortal warlock Magnus Bane finds himself attempting to rescue the royal family from the horrors of the French Revolution—after being roped into this mess by a most attractive count. Naturally, the daring escape calls for invisible air balloons…

This standalone e-only short story illuminates the life of the enigmatic Magnus Bane, whose alluring personality populates the pages of the #1 New York Times bestselling series, The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices series. This story in The Bane Chronicles, The Runaway Queen, is written by Maureen Johnson and Cassandra Clare.

My Thoughts:

I read the first in this novella series about a month ago (you can find my review HERE!) and thought, "This is pretty cool! A little inbetween series to get us die-hard fans a little something to do while we wait agonizingly for the last book in The Mortal Instrument Series.

Magnus Bane is such an interesting character.  I've never really read about anyone anywhere near similar to him.  He is so unique, not just appearance wise, but also characteristic wise.  Which is great of course!

I liked how Cassie and Maureen tied-in history into this novel.  Marie Antoinette makes an appearance, which was neat, because most of us have heard about her in our history classes; but to see her get tied-in with warlocks and vampires? Awesome!

I will say, content wise, this was on the brink of being a teen novel.  Magnus, while I truly enjoy his character, sometimes has a rather dirty mind.  Also some people may not like that he likes men, so if you have something against that, be warned.  Also Cassie and Maureen insinuate sexual things that would make this novella more appropriate for teens 16 and up, I feel.


My rating:

These are short and sweet, and perfect for fans of both Cassandra's Mortal Instrument and the Infernal Devices Series.  These books do mention bisexuality, because Magnus likes both men and women, so be warned of that.  And there are a few mature mentions that I would be aware of when giving to anyone under the age of 16.  I think possibly 14 and up can handle it, it just really depends on the child and parent.

So anyway, hope everyone has a great week! And I'll be back soon! :)

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. I gave up on the Mortal Instrument series after books one and therefore never really got to know Magnus. I may pick this one up though. And who knows, it may inspire me to finish the series.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick