Water for Elephants movie!!!

Okay, so Friday morning, I forced my mom to come with me to see Water for Elephants...okay, not so much forced, since she wanted to see it too.  Anyway, though I thought it great!

Even though, that morning I had also read the review out of my county's local paper, that only gave the movie 2 out of 5 stars and said that Robert Pattinson and Reese Witherspoon showed no chemistry and were terrible compared to the great acting of Christoph Waltz, who portrayed the role of August, the schizophrenic star circus performer.  I, however, thought everyone did an amazing job in their roles.  And I am not just saying that because I think Robert Pattinson is really cute...I swear.  I thought he really proved with this role and his role in Remember Me that he can broaden his acting skills out of playing the young super hot vampire Edward Cullen in The Twilight Saga.


I thought that the script, producers, directors, and whoever else was in charge of the story of the film, kept it very true to the novel.  There were a few changes, but compared to the main idea of the story, those changes were very minor.  They started the movie different then the novel, but I didn't think it was necessarily bad how they changed it.  You see, in the novel Jacob (the main character, played by Pattinson in film) remembers his days in the circus when he is an old man, but doesn't tell them to anyone.  In the film, however, it begins with Jacob, as an old man, going to the circus, after he ran away from his retirement home that he lives in, and gets found by the circus director, who takes him into his trailer.  In the trailer, Jacob sees all the pictures from some original circuses, and among them finds one that shows him, Marlena (his love), and Rosie (the elephant him and Marlena trained and loved).  The picture reminds him of his circus days even further, and has him telling the story of his days in the Benzini Brothers Circus: The Most Spectacular Show on Earth.

There were a few other small changes.  The only one that I thought was better done in the novel, compared to the film, was that at one point in the film Jacob and Marlena run away from the circus, after one of August's outbursts, and get a hotel room.  They, especially Marlena, knew that August would do everything to find them; and of course, August's cronies did.  In the novel it was done better, because Marlena asked Jacob to take her to a hotel room (with the circus knowing), where she would stay just until they went to their location.

Other then these small things, the movie was overall very excellent!  I noticed that the audience consisted of men and women, of many different ages.  I definitely recommend it!

I hope everyone has a great week, and I will write again soon!

The Romance Bookie :)


PS: Check out Kody Keplinger's (the author of "The DUFF") Week 4 post of her 20 in 20 contest!  Here is the link: http://kodymekellkeplinger.blogspot.com/2011/04/20-in-20-week-4.html

Comments

  1. I thought the movie was good but I liked the book better. I did like the end of the movie when they showed some black and white stuff, but I feel like overall the book went into more detail ... I thought Reese and Robert (whom I really like in the Twilight movies, btw) were okay but it was Christoph Waltz that was the show-stealer. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what the reviewer said in the review I read in the paper too. I thought both were really good. Of course, I do agree the book was better, but then again, when isn't the book better? haha :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick