Guest Review from Erin: Breaking Butterflies by M. Anjelais (ARC Review)


Hey Everyone!

From Goodreads:


The closest he will ever come to happiness is when he's hurting her. Will she let him? A beautiful and twisted story of first love and innocence lost--written when the author was just eighteen. 

Sphinxie and Cadence. Promised to each other in childhood. Drawn together again as teens. Sphinxie is sweet, compassionate, and plain. Cadence is brilliant, charismatic. Damaged. And diseased. When they were kids, he scarred her with a knife. Now, as his illness progresses, he becomes increasingly demanding. She wants to be loyal--but fears for her life. Only the ultimate sacrifice will give this love an ending.

Erin's Thoughts on Breaking Butterflies by M. Anjelais:

I hate to give a less than glowing review, but sometimes it is what it is :(.  I was really intrigued by the premise of this story and it seemed like it had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, this fell short for me by a long ways.  In my opinion, I felt like the story had absolutely no plot.  There wasn't a point to the story! I was confused by Sphinx's motives and every decision that she made seemed like it was made because she "had a feeling" or "something was telling her" to do it rather than making a clear choice.  In addition, I felt like all the dialogue was really shallow.  Whenever she was talking to someone and someone was talking back, it felt really fake to me.  I didn't get any feeling from this book, I didn't like any of the characters and the story didn't make sense to me at all!! For example, the beginning of the story tells the story of Sphinx's mom and her friendship with Cadence's mom.  It goes through how they became best friends and eventually they this "plan" that talks about how Sphinx's mom will have a girl and Cadence's mom will have a boy and they'll get married one day.  The thing I don't get about this is that this is a contemporary novel! So I did not understand how this could possibly have happened.  Yes, sure, it's a book and the author makes that decision, but in Breaking Butterflies, it makes it seem like this whole "Plan" was a prophecy or something that was fulfilled.  I don't know?????!! That's just one of the many things that bothered me about this book. Soooo...

Overall rating:



I really hate writing bad reviews, but it's just what I personally thought about the book.  Oh! And by the way, this is not a book about fairies, as I first thought (probably because of the unusual names and the butterfly), but swear, this is not why I didn't like the book! :D

Erin @The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick