Food Friday #1

 So who loves food?

No one?


via GIPHY

I thought I could share some of my favorite foods from my week.  


This week, some of my favorite dishes were:


1. Scrambles


Making breakfast can be very difficult, when you have a baby.  But once in a while I do get the chance to run to the kitchen and whip myself something quick together, while my little man is sleeping.  

One of my new favorite things to make it egg scrambles.  They may not be picture pretty, but goodness are they delicious.  And what's great about them is that there are so many different options on what can be put into them.  And you don't have to worry about making it look pretty like a omelet; you just sauté some veggies, and whatever you want, add some mixed up eggs and mix it all together in the pan as it cooks, and bam!  Done!

The two pictured contain:

Left Picture: Sautéed yellow bell pepper, spinach, red onion, and prosciutto and then 2 eggs.

Spinach is a great source of fiber, iron, vitamins, calcium, and folic acid.  Folic acid is extremely important while pregnant, so I tried to add it into my diet whenever I could while pregnant.  But overall it is such a health food, that it can be eaten anytime, and as much as you want.  It's also so versatile!  Salads, sautéed, casseroles, scrambles, omelets. 

Bell Pepper has a lot of the same greatness as spinach, such as Vitamins, folate, iron, and fiber.  But it also contains potassium; which is helpful when you're bones are feeling a bit achy.

Red onion is a great anti-inflammatory.

Prosciutto; source of protein.

Eggs, while high in cholesterol, are a source of HDL, which according to Healthline, is a "good" cholesterol, and doesn't actually "adversely affect cholesterol in the blood."  They are also packed with a ton of other nutritious sources!  Protein, calcium, vitamins, zinc, vitamins, folate, and so many others.


Right Picture: Sautéed yellow bell pepper, red onion, summer sausage, and 2 eggs. 

I love summer sausage.  I know, a lot of people hate it.  It's probably equivalent to Spam, which by the way is also delicious to me!  I got to try Spam in Hawaii last December, and it was bomb!  But for this scramble I sautéed chopped up red onion, bell pepper, and summer sausage, and added two scrambled eggs.  


2.  Costco's Spinach and Ricotta Cannelloni



I went to Costco this week, and found ready-to-put-in-the-oven cannelloni.  Cannelloni is pretty much lasagna pasta rolled up into a roll and filled with some sort of filling.  The options are endless.  

I had my first cannelloni experience a few years ago, and it was one of the most memorable and delicious dish I have ever eaten.  It's extremely hard to come by for some reason too, so when I saw in one of the cold cases at Costco, I immediately grabbed one for a nice easy dinner option for my husband and I.  

We rarely eat dinner together at this point, in fact, half the time we both end up skipping dinner, and find a snack here and there as the night goes on.  So when we find easy dishes like this, we welcome them into our life! 

Very easy to make, just had to turn the oven to 400 degrees, and bake for 25-30 minutes.  It about $15 for the entire tray.  

3.  Honey-Balsamic Roasted Brussel Sprouts


I know the world is torn between loving brussel sprouts and hating them. Its up there with the argument of whether it is "okay" to put pineapple on your pizza (YES!) and if liver and onions are delicious (the answer is no.).  Now, I grew up with parents who liked to boil the crap of their brussel sprouts, so I never liked them, until one day my husband I ordered them at a restaurant as an appetizer, and I fell in love forever.

With my husband of course 😉.

But also brussel sprouts.

That day I was introduced the glory of roasted crispy brussel sprouts covered in sweet tangy balsamic vinegar. 😋

So now these have become a staple in our house. 

I usually smother in just seasoning and balsamic glaze, but for this recipe I tried it a drizzle of honey as well.  It was pretty good, but honestly I prefer just the balsamic glaze; I found the honey to be unnecessary.

My recipe for Roasted Brussel Sprouts (which I'm sure is a lot of people's basic recipe):

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Wash and cut brussel sprouts in half.

Place in bowl, gently pour enough olive oil to cover the sprouts, once stirred up.

Get a baking sheet ready with aluminum foil.  And drizzle more olive oil on pan.  

Spread out Brussel Sprouts evenly on baking sheet.

Bake for 30-40 minutes; or until they look crispy.

Take out and drizzle your desired amount of Balsamic glaze (I personally use a lot!) and if you like honey (I recommend using the honey sparingly)

Then put in oven for an additional 5-10 minutes.

Plate and Enjoy!


Brussel sprouts have so many nutritious health benefits for the body.  Not only are they a super food, but studies have shown them to be an anti-inflammatory and possibly even prevent cancer!



So that's my food for the week! Did you eat anything yummy?

The Romance Bookie :)

   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick