Having a "CoVid" Baby

 Hey Everyone!


Has anyone else noticed that it seems like everyone and their sister are having babies in 2020?

Chris Pratt and Katherine Schwarzenegger, Katy Perry and Orlando Bloom, Ed Sheeran and his wife, Rupert Grint and his girlfriend, Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner, Cameron Diaz and Benji Madden (!!!)...the list is freaking endless!

So a new term has been penned for 2020...Covid Babies...


via GIPHY

They even have these onesies, for parents to announce they're expecting...

From Etsy 

😂😂

Now my husband and I found out we were pregnant in January, so technically our little guy is not a CoVid baby, but unfortunately it did mean I was pregnant during a very difficult time, when it comes to the medical field (along with a lot of other things, of course).  

My husband was only able to come to appointments with me, up until I hit my second trimester about.  After that, he would drive with me, wait in the parking lot in our car, and we would video chat so he was able to hear what the doctor said too.  During ultrasounds we did the same thing, so he could see how our little guy was growing.  

It was scary going by myself to appointments.  I was a nervous wreck my entire pregnancy!  I was so scared something was going to go wrong, after my miscarriage in November, I was constantly convinced I was going to lose my baby again.  So going to appointments by myself, with the fear of hearing bad news, without my husband by my side, was one of the worst feelings.  

Fortunately, everything looked great until almost the end, and then when something was wrong, it was with me, which is why our little guy was born at 38 weeks.  

Every month as we were trying to conceive, I would do the math of when our baby would be born.  I was constantly going, "So if he or she is conceived this month, then he'll be born in late August and therefore not miss the cut off for kindergarten when he/she turns 5!"

Yes, I'm one of those parents.

I don't know about other places but in California (where we live), the cutoff for kindergarten is September 1st; which means a child has to turn 5 before September 1st, in order to go to kindergarten that year, otherwise if he or she is born after September 1st, then they have to wait another year.  Some public schools offer Transitional-Kindergarten, which means your child can start public school a year early, but have to still go to kindergarten the next year; they just get a bit of a head start from their future kindergarten classmates that stayed in preschool.  

Our little guy was due October 4th, so we knew unless he was born way too early (well over a month early), then we were going to have TK'er (Transitional Kindergartener).  He ended up being September 21st, so he missed the cut off by 20 days, so he'll most likely (unless the law changes) on the older side of his classmates.  

I know, I know a weird thing to think about, when you don't have a child yet.  I didn't until I started my research for having a baby.


I know, I know...


via GIPHY

My husband is bummed a bit, because it looks like we're having a second baby boom happening right now.  CoVid has made people horny apparently, because babies are popping out left and right.  Which means our son will most likely be a big graduating class, which means larger class sizes, which means less budget for supplies (because you know that never increases enough for the larger classes).  I'm bummed because all my friends who had babies had theirs in the early summer, which means their kids will be going to school a year earlier 😭.  And you know what it felt like to be the younger kid at play dates!



via GIPHY

Third wheel much...until ultimately they just tell you to go away because they don't want to "play with a baby"!


via GIPHY

And then I'll be there to say, "Oh my baby! Mommy will come to the rescue! Let's go to Disneyland, screw those kids!"


via GIPHY

Yeah I'll totally be that mom. 

So yeah, I've given things a lot of thought, as you can see.


But in all seriousness, my husband and I were very fortunate in that we had a great medical experience throughout my pregnancy.  I had constant appointments to monitor our little guy, got to see him with an ultrasound at least once a month, and my husband was able to go to some appointments (at the beginning, and even a couple of ultrasounds at the very end!), so I know we were very lucky, compared to what some folks are having to go through right now.  We live in a fairly small county, and while our numbers are unfortunately going up, we don't have the super strict rules that some big cities have where spouses couldn't even be there for delivery!  I couldn't have imagined what I would have done if my husband hadn't been there during my 52 hour labor!  He was my rock, and the only reason I was able to see it through!

I hope everyone is staying safe during this trying time.  Remember to wear your mask, because you know what?  You may be of good health, but what about everyone around you?  Just wear a mask, it's the least we can do during this time, especially if you're going out.

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick