Where We Belong by Emily Giffin Review

A few weeks ago, Where We Belong by Emily Giffin was released.  And Target, beautiful lovely Target, was offering signed copies during the first week! So I went right out and bought mine! :)
Where We Belong

I picked it up a few days ago, and just began reading.  I could not put this book down!

Before I continue, let me tell you a bit about it...

Where We Belong is the story of Marian and Kirby...a not so normal mother-daughter relationship.
Marian gave birth to Kirby eighteen years ago, at the age of eighteen, and gave her up for adoption.  NO ONE knew, except her mother.  Not even her father, and not even Kirby's birth father.

Eighteen years later, thirty-six years Marian is a successful television show producer, writing scripts for a hot drama on TV, with the picture perfect boyfriend of two years, who also happens to be her very wealthy boss.

Kirby is eighteen, living with her parents and sister, and overhears her parents one night discussing her.  She knows she's adopted, but when her parents point that there is no other explanation but that Kirby got her rebellious attitude from her birth mother...Kirby can't help feel more than ever that she doesn't belong...she needs to find herself.

Kirby find Marian.  Marian is shocked yet at the same time can't help but be thrilled to have her daughter be standing in front of her.  The little girl she gave up after many months of contemplating what would be best for her.

Along the way, Marian tells her story of meeting Kirby's father...a man she still holds in her heart to this day, and Kirby learns a few things about friendship, family, and learning to deal with your future by making decisions fit for you.


My thoughts:
I loved this book.  Each chapter switched off in between the point of view between Marian and Kirby.  Each time I felt I was that character.  I felt every emotion.  Every moment mentioned.  And enjoyed my ride along the way.
Marian's first glimpses at Kirby as a baby broke my heart and had me wondering "What if?"  it was thrilling yet at the same heart breaking just imagining if I were to be ever in that situation. What would I do?  Would I be able to go through with an adoption?  Wondering what my little girl is up to every day as she's growing into a woman?

Emily Giffin has a way with words.  I fell in love with Something Borrowed and Something Blue last year, and I couldn't help myself but fall in love with Marian and Kirby's story.

Overall Rating:


I was a little sad to see it end, but at the same time I knew everything couldn't be wrapped into a happily ever after, but I sure am hoping that Giffin decides to continue Kirby's and Marian's story one day! :)


Thanks to MacMillan, here's a clip from the audiobook:

I absolutely recommend this book to any Emily Giffin fan! Any lover of Chick lit!  A heart felt story, involving family, sacrifices, first love, and the journey of growing up! Some small mature events did happen so keep in mind if you're under the age of 16. 
The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. I will add this to my "to read" list :) once I work through THE PILE! lol. I love Emily Giffin's books. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am never disappointed by Emily Giffin. This is one of those books that you don't want to put it down and you don't want it to end! Being from St. Louis, it was very cool to read a book that references places that you have been!

    Maycee Greene (Search Engine Optimization Indianapolis)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like one I definitely want to read. I can just imagine how having Kirby show up would totally turn the universe upside down!

    Marlene Detierro (Best Microsoft Software Downloads)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this and loved it too. I'm on my third Emily Griffin book (which is actually her first one). She definitely writes can't-put-it-down books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does! I love her "Something Borrowed" series too! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick