Jersey Angel by Beth Ann Bauman review

I originally received an ebook ARC copy of Jersey Angel from Netgalley, but didn't pick it up until I received an ARC paper copy from RandomBuzzers, when I realized just how short it was.

And let me just say, Thank God it was this short! Because otherwise I honestly don't know if I would have finished it!

I thought this book was horrible! Why?

One word.
Characters.

Before I get into my thoughts here's is the unbiased description from Amazon:

Jersey AngelIt's the summer before senior year and the alluring Angel is ready to have fun. She's not like her best friend, Inggy, who has a steady boyfriend, good grades, and college plans. Angel isn't sure what she wants to do yet, but she has confidence and experience beyond her years. Still, her summer doesn't start out as planned. Her good friend Joey doesn't want to fool around anymore, he wants to be her boyfriend, while Angel doesn't want to be tied down. As Joey pulls away, and Inggy tours colleges, Angel finds herself  spending more time with Inggy's boyfriend, Cork. With its cast of vivid and memorable characters, this tale from the Jersey shore is sure to make some waves.

My thoughts:
Okay, I'm just going to come out and say it:
I HATED this main character!! Angel is a horrible person!

Winner of Worst Best Friend in the world: Angel!
Winner of worst Role Model for siblings: Angel!

Honestly, I have no other word to describe Angel as, but Trashy.  I'm sorry! But honestly! Her friends were pretty much the same too, except they didn't sleep around like Angel does. The way they talked! It was awful!
Then at one point something tragic happens, involving one of Angel's friends, and the way Angel and her friends reacted, Atrocious!
Angel was the biggest cliche of every mean girl in a high school based movie!
Honestly, I hate saying these terrible things, but there is just no other way for me to describe this book.

There was a letter from the publisher at the beginning of my copy, and included separately as well, in my package from RandomBuzzers, who by the way sent me TWO copies, so I'll be most likely giving that away one of these days...possibly!, where she wrote just how much this book spoke to her and how it was exactly what she had been looking for.

All I have to say is WHY??
I mean, I have NEVER seen an episode of "Jersey Shore", but I do know how awful they make themselves out to be, and I have to say this book almost reminded of a lower class just as trashy version of that show.

However, I will say this! I thought the overall writing style of Beth Ann Bauman was really well done.  My problem was seriously just the main character.  However, I know everyone has their own tastes, so I know while I may not like it, some of you may.

Overall Rating:
 

I would love to hear some opinions from others who have read this book.  I noticed on Goodreads, that in the reviews a lot of people mentioned they couldn't even finish this book.  
I honestly hate writing these things about a book.  I didn't go into this book hoping to hate...exactly the opposite actually.  But coming from someone, who hated high school, partially due to girls like this, this book was completely wrong for me.

The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

  1. If you did do a giveaway, then, I don't think anyone would want to read it! lol. Sounds like an awful book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! That's why it sucks to have an extra copy sitting here at home. How am I supposed to give it away, if I hated it??

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick