"Our Hearts are Broken Today"

As some of you may or may not know, I am going to college to become an elementary school teacher.

I love children.  Always have!

I hope to not only teach them, but also have a couple of my own ONE DAY, not right now but in the future!

I helped out today at one of my town's local elementary schools, for their annual holiday classroom party.  I was there all day from 8 this morning until their early dismissal at 2.  Over this past year and a half of volunteering for the same teacher, we've gotten fairly close.

So when she asked me to print out an email for her, from the school districts Super-Intendent I didn't think much of it, because I figured it was school related.

Well, it was...but it 100% wasn't what I was expecting.  I thought it would be some news about an event in town, or something.

No.

It wasn't.

Instead, it was the news that 12-15 children were killed in a K-4th grade school in Connecticut.

Do you want to know what was going through my head at that point?

Absolute devastation...and disgust.

I just don't understand this world sometimes, and some of the people living in it!  How can something like this happen?

I just saw some of the pictures, and let me just tell you, as I saw some of those crying families mourning over their lost loved ones, I cried.  I cried because I imagined not only what they were going through, but also that everything can be gone in a blink of an eye.

I know we get told this all the time, and as absolutely unfortunate, and horrifying to think about it, it is an event like this that can make us realize that!

I have a little brother who is in the 6th grade class next to the class I volunteer at.  When I found out about what had happened I wanted to rush over there and just give him a hug, and make sure he was still there.

At a time, that is supposed to be the most joyous time of the year, tragedy has struck our world.  Lives, that shouldn't have been lost, are gone.

I just want everyone to think about everything they are grateful for, and hold onto those thoughts.  Give your family, loved ones, friends all a hug, and tell them how much they mean to you.

My heart goes out to all of the families affected by this tragic event, and my thoughts are with you...

With love,
The Romance Bookie

Comments

  1. I couldn't agree more. I feel exactly the same as you do. There's never a good time for something like this to happen, but a week before Christmas just enhances it all the more. My heart goes out to all affected, Sooz

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart cries every time I hear about a tragic event like this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick