The Toadhouse Trilogy (Book #1) by Jess Lourey

Jess Lourey emailed me a few months ago and told me about her fascinating unique new novel, The Toadhouse Trilogy Book 1, about two children traveling throughout the world of books! I was definitely intrigued, to say the least!

Well, I finally got to it and let me just say I was not disappointed!

From Goodreads:
The Toadhouse Trilogy (Book #1)

Aine (pronounced "Aw-nee") believes herself to be a regular teenager in 1930s Alabama, but when a blue-eyed monster named Biblos attacks, she discovers that the reclusive woman raising her isn't really her grandmother and that she's been living inside a book for the past five years. With her blind brother, Spenser, she flees the pages of the novel she's called home, one terrifying step ahead of Biblos' black magic. Her only chance at survival lies in beating him to the three objects that he desires more than life.

As she undertakes her strange and dangerous odyssey, Aine must choose between a family she doesn't remember and her growing attraction to a mysterious young man named Gilgamesh. Only through treacherous adventures into The Time Machine, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, A Tale of Two Cities, and the epic Indian saga The Ramayana will she learn her true heritage and restore the balance of the worlds... if she can stay alive.



My Thoughts:
I thought this was such a unique take on a Fantasy World.  I mean, I am sure other authors have attempted and achieved at this type of story, but I just haven't found any like The Toadhouse Trilogy (book #1) by Jess Lourey!
I will admit, I was a little worried, because out of the book world's mentioned the only one I had read personally was A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens during my senior year of high school in my English class, and personally I didn't really like it...I am not a huge fan of Classic English Literature.
But from what I read throughout this novel, about The Time Machine, which the story spent the most time in, I actually sort of found myself wanting to pick up that novel and check it out!  I've heard a few things about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, but honestly didn't know how scary of a story it was, and never heard of The Ramayana.  I will admit the classic stories may throw a few children off, since they don't know what they are about, but honestly if you're a parent looking for a good book for your child to read, that contains adventure, fantasy worlds, a unique story line, get your child to read this book, because like I said I have never read any of these stories (except the one), and I understood what was going on and what sort of happened in these worlds through Jess Lourey's words.

So my overall rating?
I truly enjoyed this one!  I highly recommend it to the younger readers, possibly between the ages of 12-17? or so.  The main characters are fairly young, Aine's brother is 9, I believe, and Aine is, I believe 16.  There are some scarier moments, for instance when discussing the world of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and some of the parts where Biblios arrives (because quite frankly that dude is DISGUSTING!!), but other than that this book is filled with adventure, fantasy worlds, and a great story line!

You can purchase your copy at Barnes and Noble and Amazon! And you can check out her Website!

Thanks everyone! :)
The Romance Bookie :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Geography of You and Me by Jennifer E. Smith

Marriage Vacation by Pauline Turner Brooks (aka Jo Piazza)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick